Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, May 12, 2006

Drowning Rabid Puppies

Well, this is my last regular day in the office for a while. Starting Monday I'll be in the rehearsal phase for ETI until the end of June. The last week of June and first week of July I'll be about half time as we'll have day shows about half the time. I'm looking forward to rehearsing as my day job. Admittedly it is the final phase of our ensemble training, but it is still a nice taste. I've really loved the Friday classes, where we go home from the theatre world with regular rush hour traffic. Something different about going home from a day of art, than from one of high-tech.

Expedia has set up a process whereby I'll report unpaid leave as I go. This lets me work when the need and/or opportunity is there, or use the time as vacation. This flexibility overwhelms me. Not what I expected, and at forty eight it is not a job situation I ever expected to have. On the other side of things I have made myself available, and told people I will check critical items within a day. I wasn't asked, but my sense of fairness and karma wouldn't let me do otherwise.

My official title is no longer Database Developer, it is Relationship Manager. I will be moving into these new responsibilities when I return to a regular work schedule. I have a reputation for managing customers in a professional and amiable way, and recognition of that skill led to the unsought for promotion. I'll still get to do some programming, but I'll be tasked with more scoping and analysis. I tend to come up with realistic estimates, another skill needed for this new position.

Basically what I'll do is work to estimate the scope and time needed for database projects which are candidates for rapid development. If too big they'll need to be either scaled back or moved to the standard project pipeline. I'm good at explaining and figuring out how a scaled back approach can supply most of what is needed, and good at negotiating -- by simply working from the perspective that I want to deliver as much as possible to the customer, who wants the same. If the projects fall in our purview I'll work with the customer to see what we can do with budget and prioritization constraints. Sometimes I'll assign to another dev group, sometimes I'll code myself. I never thought I'd want to move away from coding, but this has appeal. If the raise is substantial it will have a little more material appeal too. In the back of my mind is the thought I may want to pursue more training in two to four years, and the more savings I can set aside the better. And this sort of job is the kind of experience that will be more marketable after an extended education sabbatical. In the back of my mind, after so many raw deals there is a little 'this is too good to be true' voice. Well fuck him and the voice he rode in on. I've had other really great deals in the past, so I think right now I'll dwell on those a little more.

The bottom line for me is balance. I'd have burned out on programming several years ago without the balance theatre and art in general bring me. The idea of moving into different responsibilities at work sounds challenging, and scary which makes it sound fun. Pursuing things that scare me in the theatre changed my approach in other facets of my life.

My life is over once again. I'm going into an entirely new phase and level of training. I'm going into a new job. When I started ETI the day after Labor Day it was scary. It would be training similar to what I've had in the past. Deeper, more intense, more time consuming, but familiar. The working hours for my day job would be a little odd, but the job the same. The worry there was whether my employment would survive the leave necessary for the final term. It appears so, and it's scary and delightful.

I've seen a commercial for the IT Technology Institute, or something like that. This fellow says something akin to, "At thirty years of age I was very scared to be starting a new career." I think, "WUSSY!" every time I hear that. I'm on my third career since turning thirty. Navy, contract programmer, full time employee, theatre professional. Or two, or four careers, depending on whether you count being a full time employee as a new career, and whether you'll let me count being an actor and all around theatre person as another. Still, hearing someone thirty years old whine about starting a new career is pretty funny. Until you think about it.

Is our society become such a caste system, that life changes are actively discouraged. Well, yes. I had (conservative) people ask me why I didn't stay in the Navy, instead of competing with people who had started their high tech careers when I started the Navy. The loud and clear implication being I was hurting the weenies who didn't have the cajones to serve their country and were dumber than I. Do people feel like it is a caste system, and that changing things will destroy what they have tried to build? Yup. I remember getting out of the Navy. At the time I had a dull billet. Not challenging, or terribly interesting. I was worried about security, then realized I'd been broke before and as a single fellow it was no big deal. I looked at the worst case, realized it wasn't so bad, and became a civilian without another backward glance.

Okay, it was easier for me. Single. No kids. Male. Able to tie my own shoes most of the time. Etc. My father had a client whom he advised file for bankruptcy back in the late 60's or early 70's. The man would have none of it. He was in a bad position because of events out of his control, but he didn't believe in bankruptcy, because he didn't feel ethically bankrupt. Per his wishes, my Dad helped him negotiate with his creditors, and the man recovered. This was a man in a situation that bankruptcy was created to assist. Instead, they bought beans in bulk, and once in a while some horse meat which was available and cheap at the time. They gleaned newly harvested farms and gardens for fresh fruits and vegetables. His family got tired of beans, cheap meat, occasional fresh veggies and such. I'm sure they bitched, but did it as a team, as a family. They got back on their feet faster than he would have otherwise, with dignity and credit rating in tact. I still think of that story when I get worried about making changes in my life. If he and his family could do that, how can I worry so much about lesser things?

So, I'm apprehensive, but not concerned. Worst case scenario. I wind up living in a cardboard box in some abandoned doorway. At least I would be able to offend the eyes and sensibilities of some of our brave and compassionate conservatives.

Careful. This was to be a mundane post for my last day of work for a while. Not a well-deserved spanking of the spineless greedy cowards who call themselves conservatives. I've been keeping it all inside for a while I guess, and the 'c' word leapt out twice before I got to this paragraph. So for all you vile villainous republicans and other cowards; may you all be dipped in a bottomless vat of aged butt crack sweat before and after every meal and sleep period. Breathe deep Scott. Think happy thoughts ... w choking on butt crack sweat. Stop it, instead think of an ocean beach ... an ocean of said sweat swarming with swimming swindling republicans unsuccessfully trying to keep their double chins and upturned noses dry. No, think of a desert at sunset ... with vultures circling neocons dying from drinking ... Give it up dude.

That wasn't pretty. I'm just not in a tolerant or forgiving mood. Probably the back spasm or cramp that's been irritating me the last two days. Butt crack sweat -- what a disgusting thought. Sending that thought to such deserving people has made me feel moderately better though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home