Give Someone a Happy Easter
This is a time of year when I'm briefly reminded of the good that is so deeply buried within the church, that good which so appealed to me as a child, and does so today. I'd ask you fundamentalist folks to remember who the bible says renders judgment, and ask forgiveness for usurping that role from God. I'd further ask you to serve the least of us. Whether you consider the least to be a Muslim, a destitute woman seeking abortion, a queer, or liberal sinner who truly cares about and loves others unconditionally. At the very least to consider lessening your persecution of them.
The previous was my last paragraph, but I figured on the off chance a fundamentalist stumbled onto this it should be first. I don't expect to anyone's deeply rooted hate and fear to vanish. I'd hope to maybe introduce a crack in the unrighteous facade of piety.
I heard Garry Wills on NPR several days ago. He wrote the book What Jesus Meant, which I am tempted to buy. I turned it on in the middle of the interview and was caught by his musing on the American god, who has approved of every one of our wars. This is not the God in the christian bible, and certainly not in the New Testament. There in the pages of the scripture lives an iconoclastic Jesus, who opposed war. Period.
He talked of how Jesus said (paraphrased), when you serve the least, you served him. That is the only guidance he gave on getting into heaven. Kind of gets lost in the typical modern American christian's headlong rush to judge other's as unfit for their sacred society. He discussed how businesses and politicians claim to be acting as Jesus would, when in fact there is not a one who would approve of Jesus. He was a man who challenged the powers that be, secular and religious, and the challenges apply as much today as they did in his life. Likely more so.
He reminded me of the religion I loved growing up. The one I discovered when I read the bible for myself in it's entirety, saw how it evolved from the old testament to the new, and the love, compassion and acceptance I saw as the basis of christianity. The fundamentalist attitude which has permeated the modern faith, and has swayed even the traditionally loving and open-minded sects turned me from the church. I am still turned from the church, because I simply cant abide with it's cold and judgmental approach. For me, it defines hypocrisy.
I remain estranged from the church. Yet, I have a spiritual life, which is casual in that I don't worry about man's definitions of the godhead be it the trinity or allah. Yet it is deep, in that I believe it is imperative to be your best in how you interact with the world. Good intentions are meaningless unless they find life in your actions. Unlike modern christians I don't believe in deathbed confessions or conversions. I believe in pursuing a life of good works. Whether God is truly the holy trinity or a pasta monster I do believe that is what is asked for. I don't think he/she gives a hoot how you define god. He/she does care how you live your life. So should you.
Forget about being judged. Forget old hurts. Cherish all you can. Happy Easter!
The previous was my last paragraph, but I figured on the off chance a fundamentalist stumbled onto this it should be first. I don't expect to anyone's deeply rooted hate and fear to vanish. I'd hope to maybe introduce a crack in the unrighteous facade of piety.
I heard Garry Wills on NPR several days ago. He wrote the book What Jesus Meant, which I am tempted to buy. I turned it on in the middle of the interview and was caught by his musing on the American god, who has approved of every one of our wars. This is not the God in the christian bible, and certainly not in the New Testament. There in the pages of the scripture lives an iconoclastic Jesus, who opposed war. Period.
He talked of how Jesus said (paraphrased), when you serve the least, you served him. That is the only guidance he gave on getting into heaven. Kind of gets lost in the typical modern American christian's headlong rush to judge other's as unfit for their sacred society. He discussed how businesses and politicians claim to be acting as Jesus would, when in fact there is not a one who would approve of Jesus. He was a man who challenged the powers that be, secular and religious, and the challenges apply as much today as they did in his life. Likely more so.
He reminded me of the religion I loved growing up. The one I discovered when I read the bible for myself in it's entirety, saw how it evolved from the old testament to the new, and the love, compassion and acceptance I saw as the basis of christianity. The fundamentalist attitude which has permeated the modern faith, and has swayed even the traditionally loving and open-minded sects turned me from the church. I am still turned from the church, because I simply cant abide with it's cold and judgmental approach. For me, it defines hypocrisy.
I remain estranged from the church. Yet, I have a spiritual life, which is casual in that I don't worry about man's definitions of the godhead be it the trinity or allah. Yet it is deep, in that I believe it is imperative to be your best in how you interact with the world. Good intentions are meaningless unless they find life in your actions. Unlike modern christians I don't believe in deathbed confessions or conversions. I believe in pursuing a life of good works. Whether God is truly the holy trinity or a pasta monster I do believe that is what is asked for. I don't think he/she gives a hoot how you define god. He/she does care how you live your life. So should you.
Forget about being judged. Forget old hurts. Cherish all you can. Happy Easter!
4 Comments:
Nice post.
As an atheist who grew up watching televangelists on Sunday mornings in Louisville, it has always fascinated me how fundamentalists cling primarily to the Old Testament, usually at the expense of the New Testament. The usual excuse is to quote the line from Jesus about how the Old Testament is still absolutely True and how all of it's words are to be obeyed. However, even in doing so, the televangelist ignores the rest of Jesus' words except to pay lip service to them (as if he were some naive child, the fundamentalist tends to pat him on the head).
Of course, modern day fundamentalists have even tied wealth to deep religious beliefs. Several ministers now preach that God will deliver riches to the pious. Seeing as how the wealthiest 1 percent of the country owns the majority of the wealth, certainly they are the most pious and the rest are the wretched believers serve.
Yesterday, our neighborhood had an Easter egg contest in the park. Watching the children running around, excited, hunting for eggs, screams of joy and loud laughter would melt even the most hardened cynic. It was beautiful.
I share your view on the Jesus in the Bible. Spent many an hour as a young person wondering what he had to do with the Jesus in the church.
Shouldn't that be signed "Tough Love, Al"
Typical of the hypocritical approach: "I'm not saying that to be judgmental" leaving out the words "but I'm being judgmental". It's so much easier when we lie to ourselves. If only others could not see it so readily.
Glass houses and all of that.
That is where we part. I read the very same verse and it tells me to follow Jesus' example, not an exhortation to stroke his ego with platitudes intended to control others. Your god is too small for my world. I want a god as big as, no bigger than my world. My god is one of love and responsibility, not one of repression and judgment of others. And yes, I am aware of the irony in that statement. My response is my struggle is with my relationship to god, not your relationship.
Post a Comment
<< Home