Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bouncing Off...

Well, there's lots I want to write about. Got a promotion at work. I'll be starting a leave of absence from work in two and a half weeks. Got rousted by the police as I was leaving the studio Monday night. I have notes for the last week of the academic portion of ETI and class rehearsals, which I have yet to polish and post on my class journal site, and I probably won't even post the notes for tech week. Our show, the ETI Recital opens tomorrow night. BD, Piccadilly, and Rachel have left nice comments I want to respond to.

Whew. A week, no two weeks ago I detox'd. It sounds stronger than the tame reality. My body got tired of the caffeine, liquor, herbal infusions, and excess junk food. That was a strange thing, as I alluded I wasn't really hitting anything particularly hard, except maybe the caffeine. Even that was not hard for most coffee drinkers, but four cups and a couple diet cokes in a day is a lot for me. I just get blah'd out every once in a while and stop. It wasn't premeditated, I just found myself one day realizing I hadn't been giving any time to my favorite vices for several days. I suppose with the end of the quarter coming up my mind and body craved the cleaner living I did first quarter.

When the show is done, you may find me with a double bacon cheeseburger resting on a plate on my lap, a triple shot espresso in one hand, a tall whiskey in the other, and a little herbal supplement sitting on the coffee table. It's a nice fantasy, but it doesn't appeal to me right now. I'm hoping there's nice weather on Sunday, so I can mow my front lawn after we close with our matinee. God, what's happening? Will it go away by Sunday? Someone save me from myself. The evil Scott needs a little license. He needs to get out and play. That's a lie. He needs to get out and be fucking lethargic for a little while.

Right now I am feeling better about our scene. I wrote a luke warm invite for the show to people who didn't now about it because I haven't felt good about my work lately. The soliloquy, which I love, is kicking my ass, the director has me in a black gi using a stick. I've never studied martial arts so while the clothes help me stay low and centered I wonder how much of a dufus I look like... I got a great note on the soliloquy from Robin on Sunday which is really helping me find the intention and get notes to hone it, and some of the other stuff is coming together. It finally started being fun -- I still think I may look a bit of a dufus but that thought is nowhere when I am doing it. That's one of the gifts of theatre, you get to say "screw it" and just play. Also, my scene partner and I are connecting really nicely now, which makes the rest of the scene work nicely, and makes it fun. Damn, it goes by too fast. It is a short and very dense scene. It is good to feel it goes by too fast. Makes me look forward to doing it a lot more. Hopefully we'll have good audiences through the four day run.

I should commit and write a stronger invite to some more people. I'll probably not, saving the big promotional E-mails and cards for our final project. Well now it is time to get some shut eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home