Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Pay No Attention To The Man Behind The (Corporate) Curtain

I saw two new stories in the paper this morning. Our 'liberal' press would have immediately crucified Clinton for either of these. Yet, they appeared as filler in the paper. Have we become so inured to the administrations actions that significant items are no longer newsworthy? I feel like we're those frogs in a pot of water, not noticing we are begin gradually cooked to death.

All sorts of lame excuses about vetting people, and the only nominees thus far scream out conflict of interest. How long did it take the white house to vet their boy Alito?
White House civil-liberties panel created in 2004, still hasn't met

Really, can there be any doubt that this one has more to do with avoiding embarrassment than avoiding real security leaks.
US removing documents from public access: report

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Civil Liberties Panel: You're right. They even got an energy (insider) panel together to meet with Cheney faster than this. The problem is that it's hard to find "civil libertarians" who agree with the President's policies. In fact, true conservative libertarians are appalled by the policies.

Re: State secrets. It is the nature of a security state to declare, in a bureaucratic fashion, that just about anything from breakfast menus to names of spies, are part of national security. This is one of the very dangers of such a state and is why openness in government operations either to the public at large or a sufficient number of it's elected representatives is crucial for the functioning of a democratic or free society. Kafka was the master at illustrating this point in his fiction.

Clinton, as you probably know, was the one who demanded that more of this material be released and that it be released sooner than it was getting released. It was the right thing to do. The Bush administration in it's efforts to undo all things Clintonian as a knee jerk reaction found an ally on this front with the fatherland security apparatus.

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home