Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Original world wide web

My Monday experience is still with me. Mellower, as I expected, and assimilating. I'm not quite sure how, as there isn't a conscious effort to do so. There is an awareness of some walls being easier to work through and getting closer to my core in a more facile way. Maybe it was as much an awareness of a small step forward, as taking the step.

As part of the influx I realized was that it didn't matter if our new instructor this quarter doesn't like me. He's got a lot of knowledge and insight, justifying his enviable reputation of being one of, if not the local Shakespeare authority. For the first time in quite a while I didn't feel last at sea during scene work in class. I'm working as Petruccio in the scene where he and Kate meet. Quite a challenge for me in addition to that posed by working with the Bard. Things pretty much contradicted my impression of being actively disliked.

After class I finally remembered to call my Dad. His 75th birthday was on Wednesday, and while I did remember, it was 10:45PM here, an hour later in Arizona. I remembered fifteen minutes earlier on Thursday. It's nearly a tradition now, as for the last five years or so I call my siblings and father and leave a Happy Birthday song on their answering machines. I actually caught my brother at home this year, but last year or the hear before I did a very breathy version, claiming to be Marilyn Manson (whom I don't think I've listened to). It was a spoof of the Kennedy birthday song, and I think they listened to me record the message. I'm glad I didn't know it at the time.

After singing for my Pop from inside the parked Vanagon, I realized I was just a few blocks from Steve and Paula's place, so I called and talked to Steve and he relayed my message to Paula, to see if she wanted to see God's Country at CHAC. Then I reparked the car so I wouldn't have to feed the pay lot, and went to Caffe Vita's to read more of The Taming of the Shrew. I nearly called Rachel to see if she wanted to see the show, then realized it started in about an hour, an impossible last minute commute from the East Side. Barely possible if the traffic was okay, and for some reason I didn't think it was on a bitter Friday night.

A few minutes before I left to walk over for the show Paula called to let me know she was going, and when I was I going to be there. She arrived a few seconds after I got the tickets, and we chatted, got to our seats and chatted some more. A few seconds before I turned off the phone Rachel called, and we chatted for a few seconds. Then Paula saw Joseph Lavy sitting on the other side of the theatre, whom we chatted with during intermission and after the show. Then we headed over to meet Steve for his improv gig at the Historic University Theatre, which was cancelled. So, we hung out for pizza and a drink instead

Those calls and meetings were tremendous. We often get caught up in busy schedules, and feel disconnected. My Dad, Paula, Steve, Joseph, and Rachel within an hour or two, by chance, my initiative, and their initiative. And all outside of my work and ETI worlds. It's quietly profound. Each of those connections represent many other people, having them all come together at once is pretty grounding. It reminds me how connected we are, and how many other connections there are.

I'll see some more people this afternoon. I'm going to a birthday party at the Bellevue Skate King. Yes, it was Donna's birthday I went to last February 19th, where I broke my leg rather badly. As if there was a goodly. I'll pass on the skating this year, thank you very much. I'm just going to enjoy the experience of NOT having a broken leg. Sort of. It is a costume affair, so I'm going to wrap my leg in cheesecloth, which looks like gauze, but is much cheaper. I'll put a few swatches and strips of red cloth inside the wraps to give it that lovely post surgery look. I've still got my crutches and night splint to complete the picture. I'm wondering if some of my friends will assume I went skating again or dropped the motorcycle before realizing it is my costume.

Darn. My sinus just got a feeling like I had inhaled freshly chlorinated swimming pool water. I hope it is something I'm getting over, and not coming down with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home