Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Reentry

As soon as I got to Freehold yesterday my nerves went away. I suspect it was mostly excitement, and the adrenalin and such which goes along with that magically turned into the old habitual feelings of trepidation. Not all magic is good.

One of our ensemble members decided the program wasn't where she needed to go. I was really excited it seemed like everybody was returning. I wasn't the only one, it visibly bummed quite a few of us.

Things are very busy at Freehold at the moment. Classes are starting, and the Studio Series is under way with all the rooms and audiences which go with it. (I'm bummed I forgot and missed the first week's production.) It is generally wonderful stuff and I likely had acquaintances in several of the shows. Each week is a production roughly two hours long, usually consisting of five to ten short pieces. Some have very well-trained and experienced folks, others people earlier in their path. While there may be a piece or two that are not riveting, there are usually several transcendent pieces of work. For anyone in this area, I'd certainly recommend it.

With everything going on at Freehold, finding rooms is a challenge. Yesterday our class was at the theater at Northwest Actor's Studio, which I always figured as a competitor to Freehold. Next Tuesday we will be at the theater at Hugo House. Good thing there are a number of suitable venues within a couple blocks of Freehold.

I'm hoping to see Richard III Friday at Seattle Shakes on Friday, so maybe I can see this week's Studio Series on Saturday. It's not getting much good talk in the community, but people ARE talking about it. It is done in contemporary settings, so I figure the Shakespeare snob factor has something to do with it. Misha Berson from the Seattle Times didn't seem to care for it, which generally means a show is good in my experience. She seems to have a predilection for lavish production values and a dislike of shows which get you personally involved.

I'm happy to be back in class, though my internal clock is out of whack right now. Maybe going to the opera with my niece tonight will mellow me enough to allow me to reset that pesky clock. I'm already thinking about my schedule in seven day a week terms again. Trying to figure when I have time to do all the little things I really want or need to do. So, I'm getting back in the groove.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott. It's been many years since we last saw each other. You were still in the Navy and I was a young enlisted Soldier. Since that time [irony] I have become a military chaplain and have served as such since 1992. Not knowing how to reach you otherwise, I am using your blog site. Sadly, my mom passed away this past July, 2005 -- botched surgery at Harrison Hospital. You had written her a note expressing appreciation for her teaching. She treasured that note. Thanks. Hope you continue to do well. *Steve

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. Email: chaporama@hotmail.com -- * Steve

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home