Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, January 09, 2006

Bush Has No Doubts About Cheney

Starting off with my weird brand of humor that nobody else gets. Sharing it is either an exercise in self-indulgence or letting you see too far into my thought processes. Why would w have no doubts about Cheney? Is it because he is just as morally bankrupt, or because he really is that stupid? I thought it a funny headline the moment I saw it, and still like my interpretation better for entertainment and truth.

Now for the darker side.

Cheney goes to the hospital again, and my feelings remind me of Pat Robertson. Not in a good way either. Pat prays for death and tragedy to befall his others, and publicly gloats and shamelessly displays his ecstasy when it seems those ill wishes are granted. I don't pray often. Prayer is not something I feel should be trivialized by constant prattling for everything you can possibly think of praying for -- it becomes pro forma like brushing your hair. Asking for God to hurt others is evil and tremendously arrogant and ignorant in my book. Doesn't make me a modern-day mainstream christian. My God is a compassionate one.

I can't pat myself on the back that much. I saw the news this morning, and felt saddened when I saw Cheney was released from the hospital (for a reaction to drugs for a foot problem). I don't make a habit of wishing people ill. On the other hand I do not find Cheney's good health something to celebrate. So, I don't pray for evil people to meet with tragedy (rather that they are overcome), but I feel disappointed when tragedy does not befall them.

How different am I from Pat? I like to think we are a universe apart, but I have to consider our differences may be more a matter of degree. I believe he whores the concept of faith to apply bigoted judgments instead of searching his soul. Am I more restrained, or less straightforward? More compassionate or wishy-washy? I give myself good marks, but there is a little voice, "Hey Pat may sincerely wrestle with these kind of questions, and simply come to different conclusions." My blinders are my sense of right and wrong, and make it very hard for me to accept that is in the realm of possibility. Ironic, eh?

Could it be my willingness to truly try and understand different opinions is what really sets apart the so-called left and right in this country at this time? Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of self-styled liberals who are unwilling to investigate and understand the right. In my experience that close-mindedness is more typical of self-styled conservatives. It is their credo. The boss says don't ask questions about Iraq / personal liberties / privacy / Medicare / corporate tax cuts / etc., just do what he wants or you're a traitor. This symptom of "You're with us or you're against us", is what keeps us apart, and until both sides are truly willing to ask hard questions and make actual sacrifices the GOP meltdown will only be a changing of the manipulators pulling our strings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home