Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, January 03, 2006

America, It Makes You Proud Disappointed

I have no comprehension of how anyone can trust w and his minions. I realize people do trust them, I just don't understand how anyone can have blinders big enough screen out the systemic and systematic corruption of the GOP.

Remember the Clinton witch hunt? Hundreds of millions of taxpayer money spent by the republican controlled senate and house, and not a whiff of corruption. Just prevarication about the president's personal life, evasions or lies to questions about his sex life which had no business being asked. Now we have all the corruption and more, which the republicans accused the democrats of being steeped in. Admittedly there were a couple democrat scandals in the 90's, but they pale in comparison to the numbers and magnitude of what we see today. The republicans control both houses and the white house with strangleholds, and still can't suppress the flood of their dirty deeds coming to light.

Speaking of the dysfunctional capitalism/consumerism partnership the conservatives have brought us...

Long ago, far away, when I was still wet behind the ears, American products were superior. Made in America was nearly synonymous with quality and durability. We were the land of quality, even in the automotive realm, where we created low maintenance vehicles, with respect to the rest of the world. Lately I've been calling America the land of "almost good enough." We'd rather save $5 on something that costs hundreds or thousands of dollars, than pay the $5 for something that is twice as durable. My disdain for the American consumer bit me in an ironic way.

I have a two or three month old Sony DVD player for my downstairs television. It gets a lot of easy usage, as I turn it on most nights for a lullaby movie. It is sometimes left on for an extended period. It died Monday morning around 4AM, a few minutes after I turned it on. That afternoon I put on a movie upstairs, where I actually watch movies instead of go to sleep by them. This DVD player is a Sylvania, which is a 9-12 months ole. Not brand new, but it doesn't get used much. It's motor died ten minutes from the end of Goldmember. At least I'd seen that movie before.

Two DVD players, and their motors apparently died less than a day apart. Kind of reinforces my disgust at the quality of products available in this country. I don't even think these make the "almost good enough" cut. They'd have to last more than a year for that distinction. I took apart the DVD players these replaced, and both had motors about the size of the tip of my little finger, though not as big around. Pathetic. Typical. I won't even bother with these, figuring they continue the trend to shoddiness.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, must have been solar flares. My 1.5 year old, region free Malata player died on New Year's Day. It doesn't get played that often. It still supplies power, but clearly not enough to run the drive to even eject the disc. Disgusted, I went to the store and bought a Sony (I had rentals of Coupling to watch). Now, I read your post and wonder if it will be a good choice either.

I don't mind paying for quality. It's why I eat organic foods. It's why I spend a few extra dollars on car repairs sometimes. Heck, I might even be willing to spend a few bucks buying a quality politician, but sadly, like our DVD players, those seem to be non-existent.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home