Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, December 16, 2005

Yummy

This morning, we set up and ran through the scenes we'll be doing at the Monroe Correctional Facility tomorrow. A lot of cuts, as we have a 45 minute time frame, and have to subdue the more sexually evocative humor, and some of the oaths. It was a rehearsal opportunity so I pushed my voice a bit to work the habit of not holding it. The same when we ran one of the scenes and part of another as a warm-up a bit before the show.

I wasn't the village idiot tonight. I didn't feel like the weakest link either. I finally had fun, and got a lot of laughs in the process. Not just from my Dad who was a bit wowed by the show. John and George kept saying for us to have fun, to play, and I was having trouble getting myself into that space.

After the morning bits, I took my motorcycle to the shop for a tune up, and the minor repairs needed from the dump last Friday. Then I caught a bus part way back, and walked from 4th and Wall to Freehold. I was lugging my big laptop, about twenty pounds, and my helmet. And wearing my motorcycle boots -- these boots weren't made for walking. About two miles, perhaps a bit more, mostly uphill. Got myself a good workout, which helped my mind calm down.

I stopped a couple blocks out of the way to get a sandwich, fruit, diet coke, and water. Got to Freehold about two hours before call, four hours before the show. Did some E-mail checks while I ate, then meditated and ran lines, focusing on ease and vocal articulation. They both helped. The pushing to open my voice in rehearsal, with the articulation let me relax more. The meditation got me centered, and let me tell the weakest leak bitch of my fantasy to screw off. I had fun. A lot. Funny thing that. The more fun you have, the more the audience and your scene partners have.

Several people I like and respect were at the show, and made very nice and specific compliments about my work. God what a difference a day makes. I'm so looking forward to our last three performances. I'm all hungry for more classes, and feeling a bit ambivalent about the long break now. It's nice to be off my pitty pot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know right where the Monroe Correctional Facility is at. It's across from the high school - two foreboding institutions. We're going to be out and about today, but if you have the time, give us a call. If we're home, we'd love to see you.

Glad to read things went well last night.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

We were sort of in town and out again. I was hauling the set and a passenger, or would have loved to stop by and see you.

It was a wonderful surreal performance. I look forward to working there again.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home