Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, December 09, 2005

Tar(mac)nation

Wow, it ended up being an eventful day after all. Class was long, rehearsing other people's scenes. That means I didn't get a chance to do much, nor did I get a chance to get castigated. Lot of that today, and I think it is mostly for the sake of pressure. If not, simply because the time is short. It would have been nice to start on the text about two weeks sooner, but we didn't get the cuts until the first day of blocking.

Anyway, it was a long day and I wish we could have worked more scenes. Fun anyway. I suppose that is one of things which makes me an actor. A long boring rehearsal day is still fun.

After class I thought I'd lost my cell phone again. It's a rare talent I have, that. What that means in practical terms, is I stopped when I got to the motorcycle to check messages. Couldn't find the damn phone. Back to Freehold, look all up and down the risers where I last saw it. No luck, but I got drenched with sweat walking around in my riding gear. Back down 11th Ave E along the reservoir park, and left on Denny. Going across Broadway I slammed on the brakes when a truck turned in front of me. Ba Da Boom!

"@#$% &**^%$ ^()!!!! and your &^%$#$%^& Mother too!" Or something like that. I was loud and not gracious. Luckily he had the window up and didn't hear me. Someone waiting for the crosswalk helped me lift the bike up and we rolled it to the sidewalk. I think I'll have a bruise on my right hip and big toe. Thank my lucky stars and heretical spiritual guides and the Aerostich suit. I felt my knee pad and elbow pad smacking the pavement. No big injury to get over. I'd be feeling a lot more banged up if I'd been wearing leathers.

No real damage to the bike. The rubber pad on the foot brake came off, and I retrieved that. A small scratch on the front fender, the right mirror, and the case saver (aka crash bar). About the time I figured out there was no real damage to myself or the bike the young man driving the truck walked up. He was mortified, and I assured him a number of times I was alright and we'd be able to take care of it without dragging in the insurance company.

He was an extremely conscientious young man, and had a young lady with him. I told them not to let it bother them, that I was alright and he was doing the right thing. He is nineteen I think. I noted his birth year on his driver's license, but not the day. In the end it was definitely more traumatic for he and his companion. Goddamn I always think in acting terms. He had a gracious and very mature presence. For those that whine about the new generation, you should get knocked down by one of them. I really liked this young man. I'm so glad their windows were up and they didn't hear my string of obscenities. Yes, I swore like a drunk sailor on shore leave. Instantly, creatively, without thought, so it is certainly possible for me to lose my temper in an impressive way.

I told him it would be a few weeks before I could get estimates, and I hope I'll be able to get it fixed for under a $100. I'm not worried about replacing things, just preventing corrosion. That would be a nice Christmas gift for him.

I sure do like my riding gear. I haven't checked it yet, but any damage must have been minor, as I couldn't see any holes or torn fabric. Because I fell and slid this time instead of rolling, the banged elbow and knee in this 15-25 mph crash would have been as painful as the one at 60 mph had I been wearing my old unpadded leathers. That's the good from my first crash -- protective gear. My adrenalin was dropped to a level where I was no more than chatty when I talked to the truck driver. Not shaky or anything. I rode the rest of the way to Seattle Center in comfort, physical and emotional. Now to go watch my friends in Next Step. No wireless where I'm sitting, so I'll post this tonight or tomorrow.

May all your traumatic experiences be as mild!

3 Comments:

Blogger Just Me said...

Glad you're OK, Scott. Enjoyed reading your account of the meeting with the nice young driver.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Rachel Rutherford said...

I am relieved you are okay. Very glad to hear it.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Thank you all very much. I love riding a motorcycle, and as this demonstrates you are much more likely to avoid collisions with other vehicles, you are more likely to hit the ground.

I drove a few four wheeled beaters in my time where contact with the ground was a real concern, but I do a little better now.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home