What Do You Think?
Ever wonder how other people think about you? Of course. Well, these two headlines gave me an uncomfortable insight into how I, as an American, am viewed by the rest of the world.
997 executions on, the US still loves the death penalty (Taipei Times)
One person executed every 10 days in the US (Hindustan Times)
It is interesting in that it is only recently I decided I'm opposed to the death penalty. I was never a strong proponent. Partly because I feel life without parole is worse than an execution, though my mind might change if I was on death row. The whole sanctity of life argument doesn't move me much either. I'm not terribly sympathetic to pleas for mercy from a cold-blooded killer. What I object to, and object to vehemently is the inequity, and the more than likely possibility for errors. Most prosecutors in this country aren't interested in justice, they are interested in convictions. They are happy to pass on the responsibility to the judge and jury. Of course this isn't always the case, and it is my impression that the truly ethical prosecutors aren't in the majority.
More than the possibility of executing an innocent man, it is the inequity I find abhorrent. Minorities are more likely to be executed, and an even bigger bias is social status. How many middle or upper class people are executed? Not very many at all. If we can remove prejudice, be it racial, religious, or economic then there is the possibility of legitimizing the death penalty. Folks, it isn't going to happen any time soon. I'd love to make it an option for the person to be incarcerated. Let them choose between life without parole, or execution. It would sure be fun to watch the right wing churches who are in favor of killing grown ups for vengeance, squirm over the idea of letting the death penalty be voluntary. In effect letting the state grant assisted-suicide for lifers.
997 executions on, the US still loves the death penalty (Taipei Times)
One person executed every 10 days in the US (Hindustan Times)
It is interesting in that it is only recently I decided I'm opposed to the death penalty. I was never a strong proponent. Partly because I feel life without parole is worse than an execution, though my mind might change if I was on death row. The whole sanctity of life argument doesn't move me much either. I'm not terribly sympathetic to pleas for mercy from a cold-blooded killer. What I object to, and object to vehemently is the inequity, and the more than likely possibility for errors. Most prosecutors in this country aren't interested in justice, they are interested in convictions. They are happy to pass on the responsibility to the judge and jury. Of course this isn't always the case, and it is my impression that the truly ethical prosecutors aren't in the majority.
More than the possibility of executing an innocent man, it is the inequity I find abhorrent. Minorities are more likely to be executed, and an even bigger bias is social status. How many middle or upper class people are executed? Not very many at all. If we can remove prejudice, be it racial, religious, or economic then there is the possibility of legitimizing the death penalty. Folks, it isn't going to happen any time soon. I'd love to make it an option for the person to be incarcerated. Let them choose between life without parole, or execution. It would sure be fun to watch the right wing churches who are in favor of killing grown ups for vengeance, squirm over the idea of letting the death penalty be voluntary. In effect letting the state grant assisted-suicide for lifers.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home