Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, November 21, 2005

Justice on Holiday

Bush who caters to the right wing bunch who live to force their narrow (and in my opinion amoral) views down everybody's throats regardless of the human cost, nominates a new supreme court justice. Alito likely supports overturning the right to an abortion. Where's the surprise? While I don't agree with this bit of fed control, I'd be very careful about opposing his nomination for that reason.

On the other hand Alito agreed not to hear cases involving Vanguard. He did. Now, there is argument over whether this constitutes conflict of interest. What! Conflict of interest is a bullshit question. He made an agreement to not hear cases involving Vanguard, and did. He is a liar, period. Yet the only thing the congressmen of both parties and the right wing nuts with their scripted talking points seem to be arguing about is whether a conflict of interest was involved. Apparently integrity is such a foreign concept to these groups they can't grasp the fact he lied. Greed they understand quite well as it pertains to conflict of interest. Lying, is not something which even appears on their radar.

Well, the Bush administration team is finally getting the tiniest bit of comeuppance. Their latest round of calling a decorated combat veteran a coward has backfired for the first time in twenty years. The bigger travesty is a majority of voters bought the line from shirkers for so long. Now w is saying, well it's okay to debate the war. Even the obscenity of saying we have to make war on Iraq to honor those who have already been needlessly killed is somewhat muted lately. No, that lying purveyor of filth dick is screeching that suggesting the president lied is "dishonest and reprehensible." I'll do more than suggest the lying chickenshit son of a bitch did indeed lie to Congress and public.

I spent ten years as a warrior in the Navy. I am decorated combat veteran. I feel a comradeship to today's military folks. It is still there though I'd guess only a handful of the people I knew are still active duty, and I haven't kept in touch with any of them. That experience and connection makes me livid about how we are wasting their lives and talent. It has been like watching a train crash in slow motion, while I'm waiting for my friends at the station. I recognized the lies and manipulated intelligence for what they were before the war started, before congress gave even w the authority to start the war.

The strategy of the whole thing makes me as livid. There are things we could do to reduce terrorism. Most obvious would be to attack the actual terrorists and their sponsors. Less obvious, but most effective, would be to curtail the more egregious policies of our international corporations, rather than using the threat of our military might to support their depredations for fun and profit. Right now getting out of Iraq in a responsible manner would be the best prevention. We'll never be able to get out cleanly, and sadly our population is too stingy to agree to a meaningful rebuilding of the country we have razed.

We are creating and encouraging terrorists in a way we have never done before, and the fruits of our labor will take a few years to materialize. I fear this will happen when more moderate and liberal people are in power again. Guess what will happen. The conservatives will blame everybody else for the terrorists they are creating right now, and get back in power and start the cycle all over, creating a more dangerous and vicious world.

War crimes. As if the rest wasn't enough to endanger our troops and our country. It ruins our reputation, but creating motivation for the killing of American troops and civilians is even more abhorrent to me. (It doesn't seem to bother conservatives, who believe in their dark twisted and updated version of manifest destiny, meaning we can do whatever we want to whoever we want, and if they fight back they are of course terrorists.) Not only do our leaders allow war crimes to be perpetrated, they have actively promoted them and are now pleading for a waiver for the CIA. What are the penalties for war crimes? I mean domestically, since we pulled out of the World Court before committing them.

It is ironic. The governor who holds the all time record in Texas for signing death warrants is george w bush. This goes clear back to the wild west days. Not a one of the people he condemned as governor was responsible for even a thousandth of the carnage w has visited upon the world. One of the bush's actions which really inflamed opponents of capital punishment was his mocking mimicry of a woman he condemned, pleading for her life. If I recall correctly he was aping her terrified plea while he laughed and signed the death warrant -- I assume she wasn't present for his mockery. It would be understandable for a child to react in such a way, but a grown up posing as governor? If there truly was justice he would face the same situation on the other side of the signer's desk for war crimes. Reality? The most despicable wholesale killers generally get off with a comfortable retirement, and I expect w will pay for his crimes in the same way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home