Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, October 03, 2005

Oh, Show Me The Way...

I've been learning how to express myself in open, artistic, and truthful ways the last six years or so. I'd say I'm dedicated to gaining experience, depth, and training as an actor. Some would say I'm obsessed, and I'd not deny it. I'm learning to communicate in many ways, using physicality, voice, and many more subtle tools and images.

So?

What do I want to say? What do I think I have to say? What must I say?

I want to bring beauty, and entertainment to people. I feel I have to open people's horizons to help mend and prevent hate crimes as typified by the corruption and viciousness of our leadership. I must tell truths. Those are the answers today. The want is not very deep or moving by itself, and changes and evolves pretty frequently. The have changes about a bit, but not quite as rapidly. It is a selfish desire, though I don't think that takes away from the validity. Finally, what I must feels more like an axiom, and has been part of me since long before I became an artist. As long as I can remember, come to think of it. Thank you Pop.

What do I want to say? That remains the original and central question for me. It is what drives me from day to day. It is informed by the broader philosophical implications. As both an artist and a patron I appreciate comedy with no underlying messages, I appreciate meaning-ridden melodrama, and things in between. That leaves a big, big arena to work in. I'm reminded of the Intiman, which produces such a broad spectrum of plays. I don't think I've seen a show there with no message for people to chew on, but the degree and style vary hugely. If they were always fluffy it would probably drive away as many people as if they were always edgy. I think the other large theatres in Seattle are figuring that one out. I believe the Intiman was the only large theatre in the region to actually grow during the dot com bust, which caught the attention of all the other big houses which were having troubles during the boom.

In many ways that is how I want to say. If you're always intense you'll be seen as shrill for good reason and tuned out. If you're always comfortable in what you say, you'll be seen as inconsequential, for good reason and tuned out. I want to have weight, and be fun. From both sides of my skin. Of course as I move more towards the art world, it may be that a balance will be a bit hard to maintain given timing and whims of (casting) directors.

My answer when I drill down on the question, "What do I want to say?" is "Open yourself to new ideas my friends." It's almost an agenda, but I believe it is the path through which evils like bigotry, greed, and fear can be overcome. Is that the essence of art? To broaden perspective and thought?

After a quick proof read of this I had a strong desire to listen to "The Doors", and I just happened to have the cd in my office. Score.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home