Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, October 24, 2005

Balance

On Wednesday I was planning to go the Seattle Opera, but Beth was in the Emergency Room. I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but they made a very nice exception and allowed me to swap my ticket for this Friday. Last Friday I was hoping to see a show, probably Frozen. I was just too tired, and went home and got a good night's sleep so I'd enjoy myself more with the Lavy's, for dinner on Saturday. It turned out Jennifer was under the weather on Saturday, so we had to postpone that too. (I'm starting to feel like a leper.)

I went from having a week with two out of ETI and day job experiences, which I craved, to zero. So, I thought about who I most wanted to see on Saturday, and called. So, [the person not to be named without permission] and I met for dinner at Sahib, in the Redmond Town Center. A good friend in ETI had eaten there recently and had recommended it, and good advice it was!

We caught up with each other a bit. Both of us are so busy and going in so many directions right now we didn't cover all the ground which was available. I feel like there was much more I want to hear about, and much more I could say. That's good. Like my visiting policy of leaving while you still want to stay, and your hosts want to keep you around. It makes you look forward to the next encounter, and leaves you with a better memory. Ever stayed on a vacation with family or old friends for too long? You don't remember it as happily, and may even dread going back. I don't really think you can do that unless you really try to during an evening of dinner and talking. When you share dinner and conversation it leaves you wanting more if you feel like the journey had lots further to go.

After dinner we did some structured exploration of thoughts and perceptions. Someone who shares strengths and weaknesses with you, both yours and theirs, is a gift. I did not really have any friends like that until I got into the arts. I have a handful now, and I am gifted by them.

I'm finding time is at once compressed and expanded. I can't believe we're already nearly half done with the first term of ETI. On the slower side, when I think back on September 6th when it all started, it seems years ago. I've only been able to get together with those friends a couple times, and it had been a month since the last such get together. Family and friends are great to see, and feed the soul, but in different way.

I feel more on an even keel now. My schedule, which I chose, with the information and experience which goes with it, leaves me reeling. Feeling bruised, as if I were careening my way through the days. Constantly askew. Those friends who gift you right your course just when it is needed most.

It's a funny thing to really dig into you're strengths, weaknesses, fears, and joys and come away feeling energized. Not long ago it would have left me feeling drained and exhausted for quite a while. Getting energized seems to be my mode now, and it is symptomatic of changes I've experienced the last several years. So long I tried to change myself, and when I stopped trying to change myself and simply 'did' I ended up with many of the changes I was chasing. The contrary nature of humans, or at least this one. Maybe that is why theatre resonates so much with me, because that is very much the approach for finding change in characters.

1 Comments:

Blogger Just Me said...

Heh, you're on the right track. It's lovely to read, you know, gives a great feeling - even though I don't know you, except from blogland! Good on you.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home