Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, September 08, 2005

Waiting...

This blog is likely to get shorter and more error prone. Probably a balance of sorts, as I get immersed in the Ensemble Training Intensive, which will be journaled in my other blog. Tomorrow is the second day of class.

I just read yesterday's entry with a critical eye. As I was waking this morning I got to wondering if I gave the impression I had arrived at some fantastical new place. I was worried 'profound' would sound, well too profound. I don't think it did, that the internal nature of the experience lent it the proper feel.

It's a gradual journey, and I'm thinking of a recollection from growing up on the beach. Sitting in a spot on a sunny day focused on something in the pebbles or sand, and observing or working with it. Then realizing the tide had come in to the point where my legs were totally covered. I wasn't oblivious to the rising water, it felt good and wasn't a problem. It was startling to realize I had just experienced the tide, a very slow and implacable force, which made a big change in a seemingly slow and gentle way. My legs weren't suddenly submerged. My awareness of the change was suddenly engaged.

I wonder where I'll be the next time I notice the waters have covered my legs. I've a feeling I've found a place where the tide will be covering more ground with greater speed. It's not an important question, but will the little points where I notice changes in myself happen more frequently, or will they happen at similar intervals and signal greater change?

I'm on the edge. I don't know where I'll be a year from now. Spiritually, artistically, professionally, geographically. Tain't bad though. I could be totally immersed in a high-tech career having dumped ETI, though that is an option I can imagine at the moment. I could be totally immersed in theatre having dumped high-tech, which is more than imaginable. I expect the actuality will be somewhere in between, and off on a tangent somewhere. The tangent is the interesting bit. Probably something I'm not even thinking about now.

Things are exploding. It's a good feeling. Going in many directions at once. The opposite of most pursuits in my high-tech profession. When you're going all directions on a bit of code, analysis, management, etc., things are generally not good. Sure you have lots of projects most of the time, but generally they are very linear when broken down to the specific task at hand.

Art uses both the linear and explosive approaches. I'm thinking of the research and text analysis which goes into creating a character and environment. It is a linear approach. So, once you have all that background, what happens? You get on your feet and see what happens when you mix it all together and let it inform you. The prep exercises and imagery work together to create something that is non-linear. It is where that indefinable something in art comes in for the actor. I've watched artists paint or draw, and there is often a framework, something linear to which the observer can relate. Then magic happens as the framework is filled in, when the soul and heart of the artist creates a reality which is their very own and can't be created by a machine or another person. It can be reproduced with varying degrees of success, but the essence of the initial creation is forever singular.

The real world keeps pushing it's way in. The bush ex machina is kicking into high gear while real people, the ordinary people Bush dismisses, are helping Katrina victims. The Bush weasels are blaming the mayors and governors for the slow (federal) response -- I'm serious they are blaming the victims. It is a proven ploy for despotic personalities. Too bad there will be debate on it, as it is an utter waste of time.

There are so many heart warming stories, yet all the bushies can do is spin. The truly shameless part is not the typical cowardice wrapped in patriotism expressed by the neocons, it is that 74% of the republicans approve of the president's job in handling Katrina. What the fuck has he done so far aside from blatant photo ops, taking credit for what the local organization managed to do, those running down those same victims for his lack of leadership? I guess that is all a republican must do when challenged in today's world. That first republican, Abe Lincoln is probably making more of a stink in the afterworld than all the bloggers on earth combined.

Here's a bit which was posted at work.
While I saw a teeming mass of displaced people standing in hour-long lines to wash encrusted grime off their children in a tiny restroom sink, Barbara Bush saw visitors "overwhelmed with the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this is working (she laughed here) very well for them.''
- http://www.bloomberg.com/news/commentary/columnists.html and The Daily Show

And these classics from Dubya himself:

"Out of the rubble of Trent Lott's house,'' Bush said, "there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch."
- and -
"Brownie, you're doing one heck of a job,"[to Michael Brown, head of FEMA, formerly a judge of Arabian show horses (he was FIRED from that responsibility)]
- http://www.bloomberg.com/news/commentary/columnists.html (and many others)
The link is now broken, so I updated with another link. Click on Carlson's story for the original reference, for as long as it is active.

My reponse to this was "Is that the fed's line? It was all the victim's fault, but it doesn't matter since they are better off now. I'd say Barbara had best stay away from the media and chat about things of personal importance with her peers, like how to organize footwear with Imelda."

Our country is run by people who consider conflict of interest a good thing, tragedy a financial opportunity, truth archaic, and censorship and tyranny to be laudable goals which us "unpatriotic" whiners are impeding. These are their good qualities. The only good thing I can see happening is an environment where lasting art will be created, though we are already seeing the early stages of persecution against those who dare think for themselves. Must leaders be festering piles of disease ridden shit for a society to produce serious and truthful art?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home