Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, September 15, 2005

Never Never Land

Okay, this is cool. Yesterday and today my scene partner and I scheduled 11:30-12:30 for working the beats of our scene. I've never had a class or worked on a show where a scene partner was so available, though it was close in Meisner. We both have jobs, at different times, thank you Mr Murphy. Still, we find times that work for us. None of this, "Well I guess it won't work out this week," or "We've done enough for now." Part of it is the nature of the course, and part I believe is the kind of work we're all striving for.

You may remember I mentioned last year a couple actors in Rumors asked if I'd teach them 'stuff' from my Meisner experience, and I said I 'd love to do some flat reads and beat work for the scenes to share some of the process we'd worked in Meisner. They didn't bite after I said that. I think in professional theatre most times the actors have their own processes and don't want to work together outside of rehearsal. So this kind of team work which I enjoy may only be available for a class of this nature, or a true ensemble type theatre.

This is a wonderful space to be in, and underneath there is more of an awareness that work outside of official rehearsal or class is a gift, than I had in the past. I'm more experienced I suppose, so I know this work will generally be done in a more individual way for normal productions. It enhances my appreciation now, and I hope leaves me better prepared for the outside of class experience.

Last night, was plain weird. I had this recurring dream topic. I'd wake up having just dreamt I checked the time and I only had five or ten minutes before my alarm would go off. Once would be okay, but every 45 minutes? If I hadn't been so sleepy and muzzy I'd have cursed like the sailor I once was. Anyone have any messed up dream experiences like that. (PS - this paragraph is an afterthought, and not what the blog title was intended to refer to, though it kind of works.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home