Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, September 29, 2005

Hope...

I was going to call this "Damn..." and thought the Hell with that. I hope it will soon be clear.

I'm irritated about my cold and the need to buy some prep H. The second time I've had to do that. Not as bad this time, but it makes the occasional coughing fit for this cold a literal pain in the butt. No serious problems, just a call to rest for one and call to evaluate my diet again for the other. Still I'm a little sour about these annoyances.

I had a reminder I didn't remember adding for Rich DeLorme's birthday. We'd gotten together once trying to get a writing group started. He was a couple years from overcoming cancer, the same type as Lance Armstrong battled. I remembered him as a very likeable fellow, who also had some theatre background as an actor in New York, and a delightfully silly four year old daughter running in circles around the coffee table (I wanted to join her). So I sent him a short happy birthday note. I got back an automated reply that he is out of the office on medical leave until further notice.

I don't think I've seen him since that one meeting, don't think I'd recognize him in a group, and I still feel gutted. I remember thinking this is the kind of person when you meet them, something tells you if they aren't a friend they should be.

During that meeting he shared a couple poems with us about his fight with cancer, and I got his permission to post them. It puts my little cold and discomfort into perspective.

I don't know details, but I'll be sending my hopes and prayers his way.

If I didn't have this damn cold I'd be trying to find a friend to have dinner with. Oh well, I should probably do more Pinter homework anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home