Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, August 18, 2005

Where's The Saddle?

So, here I am a little nervous about ETI. In that delicious anticipatory way. The last show I worked finished on July 10th, then there were a couple weeks busy applying for ETI, and now it has been three weeks since I've worked on a theatre project. I'm getting all a-itch.

I'm looking at shows, and I'm thinking of seeing GreenStage's Henry V and The Tempest on Saturday. The Crucible tomorrow, in which several friends are cast. Maybe even Taming of The Shrew next weekend -- this is a fun theatre and even when they are not brilliant they are still a load of fun. Tonight I'm going to The Elsinore Diaries as either usher or ticket seller. Will I see everything and maybe more? We'll see, but I become an avid fan when hands are idle.

Things seem to work out. The Summer class was cancelled, which gives me time to relax, and enough down time so the itch tells me my passion is bubbling away. Theatre is essential in my life. I was delighted during the run of The Cherry Orchard to several times experience the transcendent joy which caught hold of me nearly six years ago. After all the work in Meisner, a couple gigs, then a broken leg, then finally doing Chekhov. It was meaningful for me. It is that joy, along with love of working on productions and training which keep me on this path.

I'm lucky as Hell too. I've a day job which I can rely on, so I have the luxury of being able to pursue art for the love of it. Okay, it is a time intensive luxury. I'm on a path towards opportunities to make a living in the world of acting. If opportunities comes along great. If not, I can live with the tech/art balance. What I firmly believe right now is that if I had to give up one side of that equation it would not be art.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home