Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Wakin' Up

I've been lax here the last couple weeks. Not at work though. Golly, this project is supposed to save time later on. For the geeks out there, our database (MS SQL) Server has been reconfigured so we can get IT support. This means that I will no longer have administrative access (godlike). The upside is that I won't be tasked with anywhere near the administrative overhead. The growing pains while I troubleshoot security and such keeps me busy. There's a little light at the end of the tunnel. Either that light means I'm close to having things ironed out, or we're near death.

I've a rather long blog I started last week, but it will have to wait a bit longer, unless I accidentally delete it. Anyway, on Saturday I rode up a bit past Leavenworth with Richard to get some peaches from a fruit stand he patronizes. Helen whom he likes was there, all five feet of her. She's in her seventies at least, and will tire you out if you watch her too closely! I wanted to try my hand at making some country (non-grape) wine again. It has been several years, and I always had pretty good luck. One of my favorites was the peach wine, and I didn't have terribly flavorful peaches that time. This time I'm hoping for something a little nicer. Helen said the peaches would be ready for canning in three days, and ready for drying or making wine in about four days. Tomorrow I get to wipe off the fuzz and squish 25 pounds of peaches. I think I'll dehydrate most of the leftovers for snacking and cooking later on in the year.

Saturday morning to meet Richard at his house, and we had breakfast on the way, got back, chatted for a bit, then I got a call from my brother. It was a pleasure seeing Richard. We get along quite well, but schedules make more than blog communications quite rare lately.

Then it was off to my brother's for a belated birthday dinner after playing on the jet ski. My second time around on the jet ski, and it was a blast again. I went out for a short five minute jaunt just to get familiarized. Then after people had theri turns I went again, with Jimmy as passenger. We had a good time, and upon returning Jimmy said, "Uncle Scott was rippin'!" Pretty high praise. My forearm was a little sore the following day from gripping the handlebars in order to keep from bouncing off.

While we were sitting in the park waiting for Eric, Ericka, and Cartman the dog to get done Jimmy started asking about my pursuits. He is more interested in my artistic pursuits than most, and he asked enthusiastically to hear the Shakespeare monologue. He loved it, as it was fun being Friar Lawrence lecturing the fourteen year old Romeo. He got most of it, but I think he really likes the sound and rhythm of the verse too. He is fourteen and this year he is forgoing football so he can focus more on hockey and guitar. On Sunday he went up to Vancouver BC for a guitar camp at the university. Very cool, but I couldn't help thinking to myself, "Eh, studying guitar in Canada? What about hockey?"

Ericka and I hung out in the lake for quite a while the others were playing on the jet ski. She's become quite a swimmer, so it was nice. I was the family waterdog when we grew up. She is very excited about going to another opera this year, which I confirmed on her twelfth birthday on the 6th. I discovered something surprising as I floated in the water. I wasn't as buoyant as I expected. I float at about the same point I floated about forty pounds and a dozen years ago, with my nose right at the surface. Is it because I have more muscle mass which drops my actual body fat percentage, or because I've a bar of stainless steel running done the center of my right tibia? Probably a bit of both so I can't beat up on myself too badly or be too sanguine.

Big sister Chelsea is doing quite well too. She was just back from Bolivia, for a gymnastics trip, and the most poignant recollection for her right now was a mangled corpse they saw on the way from the airport. Pretty startling for a seventeen year old who had never seen a dead body before. I didn't get much chance to find out more about the trip, but I'm sure she'll enjoy talking about it for a while to come.

Then, steak for dinner and Tonia's potato salad. Ah, treats. Tonia started making potato salad quite a while back, and it started out a bit dry and bland, and it has evolved into a real treat. After dinner I opened cards and a birthday present, the new Harry Potter book, then we watched Meet The Fokkers, which was more fun than I expected. By then it was quite late, and as I was quietly getting my motorcycle gear on in the other room Tonia brought me a goodly portion of potato salad to take home. I'm really glad she did, I'll be enjoying it for a few more days.

I must have gotten a little sunburned on Saturday. I felt a little off and very tired, so I ended up mostly reading and working on Sunday. (Oh joy.) I haven't had a reading day in quite a while, probably a year or two, and this wasn't a dedicated one, so I only got halfway through the Harry Potter book. Yesterday I was still pretty tired, and read another hundred pages or so. I expect I'll have it finished the end of the week.

On the way home yesterday I stopped at Men's Wearhouse. Time to get a new suit. It's been about eight years, and while that one fits again, I wanted something with matching trousers. It's a darkish gray and should work nicely for Steve and Paula's wedding this Sunday, as well as the opera and big theatre houses. I think it will look good.

A full weekend, and I enjoyed it more because of the busy schedule which starts in three weeks. I'm looking forward to it very much, but I know I won't have many weekends like this until next Summer. It behooves me to savor them now.

Of course this is everybody's busiest time of Summer, so I'll not be catching up with people as I would like. It will make catching up during breaks, or after ETI all that much more fun. I also expect it will be like Meisner, but more so. I will flat out lose touch with some people, and make some new friends. I've gone on about this, and I think it is a good thing. Friends and friendships are dynamic, some you connect with once others over and over. That in itself is not really good or bad, it just is. My challenge is to be dynamic myself. The same drive which sent me in pursuit of art.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home