Swinging Feet
I'm going to break the post I started Friday into three separate ones. A simple journal entry, a political rant, and a bit about ETI schedule.
Lazy days. I think not having air conditioning can be a good thing. Of course, I live in the Pacific Northwest where temps in the upper 80's and 90's aren't uncommon, but certainly aren't commonplace either. More so than when I was a kid. Two reasons for that, I don't live on the water now and the climate is a bit warmer in these parts.
Go to work, do some tasks afterwards, then relax as the evening changes from muggy to comfy. It is a nice routine, which somehow reminds me of the seasons. A lot of us missed the definite seasons when we were in the Navy and stationed in Key West, Guam, and such places. There was a subtle thing which enhanced our well-being when experiencing the seasons, and we missed it in the tropics or sub-tropics. Probably made up for by not really having grey seasons. These muggy days of Summer have a similar feel. They supply a counterpoint to more moderate days and the evenings which I enjoy.
My evenings have been like that last couple weeks. I did get to watch Unforgiven on my birthday, and I enjoyed it. The following night I watched The 13th Warrior. It's got a plot I like, action, and some good acting. Of course, there is a suspension of disbelief with Antonio Banderas playing an Arab. One of my favorite concepts is the civilized Arab stuck with the Northern barbarians. Stabs at a preconception which we certainly need to shed if we want to end our strife with the middle east.
Yesterday I joined my folks and Beth to go see the current show at the Intiman. If you're local I highly recommend it. The Tricky Part is a one man show about the actor's experience with a pedophile. Uncomfortable material, with the humor balanced perfectly to let the audience breathe, without trivializing the story one iota.
Afterwards we had dinner. My second night out for nice dinners in a row. Saturday it was at Pasta Bella's on Queen Anne Hill (wonderful) with Steve and Gregory celebrating Steve's nuptials (Paula was kidnapped for her bachelorette party), then down to GameWorks and several hours of video games. Surprisingly fun. We were also celebrating Gregory's pending move to New Jersey for the Rutger's MFA program. And finally we were celebrating my acceptance into ETI. An artsy bunch. Dinner on Sunday with my folks and Beth was more of a birthday dinner for myself, and they even brought a gift, which surprised me. Don't know why, except that I haven't associated my birthday with gifts for years.
I'm still on my ice cream kick. I've got my technique down for one recipe, and now I'll start trying other recipes, then experimenting a bit. But I need to be on a kick (or binge) for that to work so the differences are more easily recognized and remembered. I'm going to try a no-cook fresh strawberry batch tonight.
Another year gone
Filled the soul with memories
Grand, warm, not, all grow.
Lazy days. I think not having air conditioning can be a good thing. Of course, I live in the Pacific Northwest where temps in the upper 80's and 90's aren't uncommon, but certainly aren't commonplace either. More so than when I was a kid. Two reasons for that, I don't live on the water now and the climate is a bit warmer in these parts.
Go to work, do some tasks afterwards, then relax as the evening changes from muggy to comfy. It is a nice routine, which somehow reminds me of the seasons. A lot of us missed the definite seasons when we were in the Navy and stationed in Key West, Guam, and such places. There was a subtle thing which enhanced our well-being when experiencing the seasons, and we missed it in the tropics or sub-tropics. Probably made up for by not really having grey seasons. These muggy days of Summer have a similar feel. They supply a counterpoint to more moderate days and the evenings which I enjoy.
My evenings have been like that last couple weeks. I did get to watch Unforgiven on my birthday, and I enjoyed it. The following night I watched The 13th Warrior. It's got a plot I like, action, and some good acting. Of course, there is a suspension of disbelief with Antonio Banderas playing an Arab. One of my favorite concepts is the civilized Arab stuck with the Northern barbarians. Stabs at a preconception which we certainly need to shed if we want to end our strife with the middle east.
Yesterday I joined my folks and Beth to go see the current show at the Intiman. If you're local I highly recommend it. The Tricky Part is a one man show about the actor's experience with a pedophile. Uncomfortable material, with the humor balanced perfectly to let the audience breathe, without trivializing the story one iota.
Afterwards we had dinner. My second night out for nice dinners in a row. Saturday it was at Pasta Bella's on Queen Anne Hill (wonderful) with Steve and Gregory celebrating Steve's nuptials (Paula was kidnapped for her bachelorette party), then down to GameWorks and several hours of video games. Surprisingly fun. We were also celebrating Gregory's pending move to New Jersey for the Rutger's MFA program. And finally we were celebrating my acceptance into ETI. An artsy bunch. Dinner on Sunday with my folks and Beth was more of a birthday dinner for myself, and they even brought a gift, which surprised me. Don't know why, except that I haven't associated my birthday with gifts for years.
I'm still on my ice cream kick. I've got my technique down for one recipe, and now I'll start trying other recipes, then experimenting a bit. But I need to be on a kick (or binge) for that to work so the differences are more easily recognized and remembered. I'm going to try a no-cook fresh strawberry batch tonight.
Another year gone
Filled the soul with memories
Grand, warm, not, all grow.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home