Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, August 22, 2005

Movings

Last week was not one of my best weeks. Nothing seemed to be go right. I'm stalled on my two main projects at work -- though I finally made good progress today. At home I cleaned part of my carpet by accidental flooding. Well, it seems the wine is starting off well -- knock on wood. The shows I saw Thursday and Friday night were fantastic, so not all is woe. As I told my friend George, I saw "The Elsinore Diaries" tonight, which I thought was both more fun, better written, smarter, and more of a comic homage to the Bard than "The Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged" which I also enjoyed... It had a bit of the flavor of a Spinal Tap type mockumentary, except it had more energy. I have to be in a very special mood to enjoy the typical mockumentary, as the energy tends to be so low and flat. Anyone else find they turn into something like the drone of a far off jet if you aren't in the perfect mood?

Anyway, The Elsinore Diaries was terrific. Greg was there with Kippy. (Psst, you getting ready for any projects now that you're done with Meisner?) I was the refreshments clerk, and one of the other volunteers was Louise who was in the movement class I took last Fall. Both Greg and Louise look like they have slimmed down. Maybe it will motivate me.

I had a small joke for Heather, who was in The Crucible. She was in the show I worked on in January, and I ended up with one of her stools in my truck. It's been safely stashed in my garage since, and I asked the stage manager to take it back for her after the show. I'd joked I would do so instead of flowers. It turns out I know five people in the show. Heather, Andy, Cathleen, Andy, and Jody. I didn't remember Jody very well, but she remembered me from the ETI audition. Like myself she is looking forward to the class, and a bit terrified too. I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody.

Saturday and Sunday were fantastic. Gregory and I got invites to the rehearsal dinner even though we were not in the wedding party. I was worried they felt obligated, and with all that they were doing with family visiting from Massachusetts... Well, Gregory and I just had to come. Terrific time. The wedding yesterday was even more so. The Quaker ceremony is simply the essence of a marriage, conducted by the bride and groom rather than a clergyman, and a community event. There are only a handful of friends I consider as close and wonderful as Steve and Paula, and it was emotional for me too. I don't want to talk about it much. Suffice it say I am delighted, and that is an understatement. I don't think I have cried at a wedding in my entire life, and it was indeed a surprise (as a guy!) to find myself doing just that because I was happy.

Steve and Paula leave tomorrow for Venice for their honeymoon. They'll be back on the 9th. I'll give Gregory a lift to the airport Wednesday, when he'll depart for his MFA program at Rutgers. Maybe he'll come back. I start ETI in two weeks, maybe I won't stay.

I'm happy and wondering how our lives will change. I'm a bit sad and wondering how our lives will change. That is the joy and pain of friendships, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. With dynamic people, I wouldn't expect anything else. I think I've got an abscessed tooth, which makes me tired and a bit more maudlin. I need to remember to call the dentist tomorrow. I definitely want that taken care before class starts. All I need is to be physically and emotionally drained for a damn dumb tooth.

Well for now, I hope I can catch up further at work in the next couple weeks. I'd like to use a few of the days of vacation I've saved for Labor Day, since I have to use at least eleven by the end of the year if I don't want to lose them. A little extra space to mellow and prepare for the busy year will be welcome. Have I mentioned that before? The first challenge will be simply to adjust to the schedule and drop a lot of my current luxuries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home