Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

Slept in this morning to make up for waking at 4:30 AM yesterday. Don't know why I woke so early and stayed up yesterday, but I nearly caught up on my morning papers and got into the office quite early. I woke just before my alarm this morning, which oddly makes me more groggy that first ten minutes. Checked my work E-mail client to see if I had to rush for any meetings. Nope, but there was a surprise.

My sister who I haven't heard from in about five months had sent me Happy Birthday greetings at one in the morning, which was pretty close the time I was actually delivered. Thanks sis! I had forgotten. It wasn't all that long ago when I woke on my birthday, the 4th, Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving and knew it was that special day before I was even awake. Now my favorite day of the year is when we go off of Daylight Savings Time and I get an extra guilt free hour of sleep time. ;) Maybe I'm not really that jaded, but I can joke about it. After all it's my birthday.

I'm 48 today, and I almost titled this entry as "1/3 Gross." Of course with a strong bent towards dark humor and working as a carpenter through college for six years, where I was a pre-med majoring in biology, then a sailor for ten years, I lost my sense of propriety. Bad words and blood and gore are just part of the job. Ten years in software has not yet made me fit for polite company (THANK GOD!). The point is those with sensitive tummies look on me as being completely gross, so proclaiming I'm only a third gross is a bit of a let down. Raiders is one of my all time favorite movies, and that is one of my favorite scenes, immediately after Indy gets clobbered in the face by the heavy swiveling mirror. Hence the title.

Nothing today. No chiropractor. No rehearsal. No class. (No class either.) No get togethers. I'm so looking forward to a little quiet. My sister in law Tonia keeps track of things, so she might tell Eric who'd get all frantic trying to figure out something, but I doubt it. I hope not. Things are plenty hectic in their household right now. Tonia's mother who had a stroke then a broken hip a few years ago, broke her humerus last week. The worst part, is it was while my nephew was helping her. She is stubborn, which I understand, but she dug in against the physical therapy instead of against the stroke induced limitations. An amazing and strong woman, so maybe she is simply tired. But Jimmy is feeling guilty, and being 14 is bad enough all by itself. It will be a while before we can tell him not to break his grandma again. Our family copes with humor, but you can't introduce it too soon.

My birthday celebration? I think I'll do a little house work, very little, then relax and watch Unforgiven. I've been wanting to watch it for a couple weeks because of the fantastic performances by Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris, and Clint. Hackman and Harris play vile characters, and Eastwood as a plain man driven to act even more vile. I rented it the other night, because I can't find my tape anywhere.

Pretty weird, huh? Looking forward to a solitary tranquil evening to celebrate my birthday. (Of course, I've a little ice cream to keep me company.) I think the let down of having the class canceled, getting my sleep pattern messed up yesterday, and knowing how full my life has been since I got back on my feet in April and will be for a long time starting a month from now have all conspired to make a quiet time alone seem like the very picture of contentment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Most often, I like the quiet birthdays. Last year was a rare exception for me. I hope your nephew recovers quickly. It would be a shame to let that teasing go too long without being said.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Just Me said...

Well, Happy Birthday for yesterday! Sounds like it's shaping up to be a good year for you.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home