Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, August 08, 2005

Getting On My Feet

Last week I received my ETI schedule in the mail. It made everything seem more immediate. I asked myself, "What the Hell have I done?" To answer the question with all of it's implied fear, joy, excitement, and trepidation, I sent in the first two payments for the year this afternoon. The third and final is due October 1.

The best thing about getting started with the program. I'll be immersed and working, and no longer stewing about it. I expect it will be like Meisner. Lot's of days I just wanted to skip it. Never did. I knew I'd be disgusted with myself, and each time I enjoyed the class. That's a funny thing. So many people had a love/hate relationship with Meisner. I loved it every day, even the classes where the exercise terrified me like when we all sang a cappella for the rest of the class. It seems that was the one class which terrified the most people, which made me feel a lot better. Other Meisnerites look at me strange when I say I loved the class all the time. I didn't always enjoy it, but I always felt I was going somewhere important and felt the presence of the divine. Something I've only felt a few times in the high tech world, generally in a military jet at flying at forty thousand feet or any altitude doing acrobatics or dogfights. The few transcendent experiences at a keyboard as a programmer pale in comparison to flying which itself pales when compared to what art does to me.

Anyway, I expect many of those frequent struggles this year as much as I expect to love it for the subtly private and profound rapture.

Here is the schedule for the first term. Less than a month away. Oh my God!

September 6 - December 18
Tuesday:
03:30PM - 06:30PM -- Movement
06:30PM - 07:00PM -- Break
07:00PM - 08:30PM -- Combat
08:30PM - 10:30PM -- Speech

Friday:
09:00AM - 10:30AM -- Combat
10:30AM - 12:30PM -- Voice
12:30PM - 01:30PM -- Break
01:30PM - 05:00PM -- Acting

Sunday:
11:30AM - 02:30PM -- Movement
02:30PM - 04:30PM -- Speech
04:30PM - 05:00PM -- Break
05:00PM - 07:00PM -- Voice
07:15PM - 10:30PM -- Acting

Plus two one hour drills without faculty during one or more of the following windows:
07:45AM - 09:45AM -- Monday, Tuesday, and/or Thursday


Around the corner
Fear awaits, routine to be,
Scare me to happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Rutherford said...

Joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart...

11:45 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Insanity, insanity, insanity and I'm envious, envious, envious!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I love these comments. I've read them several times, and I chuckle happily every time. Thank you!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home