Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, August 08, 2005

Abominable Feat

Don't you just love these wholesome family value guys? Dick Cheney sets new precedents on the senate floor with his potty mouth. Novak the same on his show. Meanwhile the republicans after telling the democrats for nearly a decade they need to emulate the republicans to succeed, are reviling Dean for hollering in a way which is tame by the standards of vitriol and frequency of their main guys like Newt.

What are some professions we like to run down because of their ethical lapses? Lawyers of course, though mostly it is not fair. It is the clients we should scrutinize more closely. Doctors are getting there, though it is not fair either, but in this case they are getting away with murder. Literally if my experience with some of the corporate sponsored, legalized drug pushers (Dr. Feelgoods) helping my mother destroy her life is any indicator. Car and siding salesmen are pretty low. Getting close to the bottom of the barrel are insurance people. The very dregs, the worst in my mind are marketers.

I know and respect people in all these professions, but they do have their special people. With the possible exception of marketers I'd state positively that the majority of the people working these professions are ethical. Luckily the marketers I work with are all very ethical -- part of the reason I like Expedia. My hesitation with marketers is the deeply entrenched disrespect of other's privacy which makes insurance companies seem positively decent, and their predation on children which is of lesser degree but greater scope than all the bad clergy in all the catholic and fundamental christian organizations and independent pedophiles combined.

Who is the staunchest supporter of marketing and other premeditated deceptive practices (and fundamentalism)? Conservatives. Republicans. The quest for the almighty buck is their highest and only tenet, and any way they can deceive or exercise faith-based power to achieve those ends is desirable. I'm beginning to think we should register conservatives. Protect your children, savings, soul, and privacy from these incurable sharks.

So, I think Dean made an ass of himself, which is not so amazing because I've thought the same of so many conservatives. Like the little weasel sitting in the oval office who has successfully hidden and sealed his military records which undoubtedly show incompetence and dereliction during wartime and pouted or thrown tantrums when challenged. Geesh he hasn't changed much, except the cowardly smiling little turd (and his blossom) started this war. Like Vietnam, he is not serving honorably and is again taking unearned leaves.

It is mainstream marketing tactics which have convinced people w is charming, tough, etc. According to recent polls less than half the country believes he is honest now. We may be slow, but if you steal our lives and lunch money enough times we'll begin to disapprove.

There is not, and never was any justification for attacking Iraq. People are just beginning to see this, and though there will be those tools who will always choose to believe the war criminals running the country. The CIA was ordered to provide bogus information, and now they are blamed by the people making the order for supplying bogus information. The very people who ordered the bogus information also swore to the country we'd have everything sorted out by early Summer, or late Summer at the latest and fired Generals for disagreeing. It is now two years later, and those brave generals are languishing in retirement.

I told people I believed the intelligence was bogus because of my experience in the field and the blatant coercion of the CIA. I told them the same about us getting out by June of 2003. I've never bothered to remind them of what I said, as they have already bought or seen through the transparent alibis and excuses -- the only thing transparent in our government at the moment. I want a new slogan for the liberals. To answer the time honored conservative slogan, "You're with us or you're against us." I want to say "You're against them or you're an avaricious coward." Too long for a bumper sticker, which is also a good measure of the average neocon attention span.

My heart's simm'ring rage,
Cowards screeching for our grit,
Our finite life's blood.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fitty cents:

Dean's ranting a hollering never bothered me. I thought the Iowa incident was blown out of proportion, flamed initially by comedians, but then turned negative by some shrewd marketing on both the right and the less right (Democrats who were behind in the polls). Dean is savy about marketing, but he let his enthusiasm get the best of him in that instance and his political enemies turned their knives towards him. Republicans saw him as a stronger candidate than Kerry and wanted to thwart him while Democrats saw him as a loose cannon who might upset the Gore/Kerry power structure.

Marketing in politics is an old issue. Democrats and Republicans have learned and used it to their advantage over the years. I'd recommend "Necessary Illusions" by Noam Chomsky for a read on the subject, or for a longer read, "Manufacturing Consent" by Chomsky and Edward S. Herman or the documentary movie by the same name.

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home