Food For The Body and Soul
Monday after work I made a variation on gazpacho. Having a number of veggies and herbs from the veggie co-op, I ran what I had through the food processor. I want to remember so I'm writing it down here. It's not as good as the turnip/beet/potato salad I made last year, but after forgetting what I did.
Lots of zucchini, a few yellow neck summer squash. Green onions, a big sweet onion. Fresh basil, cilantro, parsley, and dill. And some old dried dill (I forgot I had the fresh stuff). Basalmic vinegar, salt, fresh ground gourmet pepper, and honey.
So there wasn't much cucumber, and I usually forgo the tomatoes. I used just a touch more vinegar than I would had I used cukes instead of zucchini, because they don't have as much flavor. Something was missing, and I thought a little honey would do the trick. It did, and I think it came out rather nice.
Trina, my scene partner from the final Meisner scenes was one of my fellow auditioners on Sunday. She paid me and The Cherry Orchard the nicest compliment. She said our show was a bit slow the first half, but it developed so nicely she liked it even better than the Three Sisters. She was more drawn in and connected with the characters better. I consider that high praise as I saw Three Sisters myself, and thought it extremely well done. She really liked my work with the different characters too. My goal was to have someone tell me they saw totally different characters, not the same guy playing another role. I got two. (Thank you Rachel!)
I thought of that again today because I renewed my subscription for the Seattle Opera this year. Sounds like a tenuous connection you say? I chatted with the salesperson for quite a while about what we do outside the day jobs and what we like to watch. He is an avid fan and prefers classic operas done in a classic manner. We got to chatting and he told me it was ironic that his favorite opera of all time was Mourning Becomes Electra, which was a modern adaptation and production and directed by Bart Sher, the Artistic Director of the Intiman (and Assistant Directed by Rachel -- it's a small world). He liked the tightness, structure, choreography/blocking, etc. I admire Bart Sher a great deal, and regret I didn't get to see this one.
That wouldn't happen this year. I vacillated about getting tickets again. I'll be busy, and may run into financial hardships if accepted for ETI. Then I remembered the magic. I'll need to see something where I can totally escape from my day job and (dramatic) theatre and this is the ticket. Lots of pomp and circumstance and art. I'll find a way to get to those respites. Once I committed, I have started looking forward to them already. Even without ETI I'm going to try to really stretch this year. Better not break another freakin' leg!
Lots of zucchini, a few yellow neck summer squash. Green onions, a big sweet onion. Fresh basil, cilantro, parsley, and dill. And some old dried dill (I forgot I had the fresh stuff). Basalmic vinegar, salt, fresh ground gourmet pepper, and honey.
So there wasn't much cucumber, and I usually forgo the tomatoes. I used just a touch more vinegar than I would had I used cukes instead of zucchini, because they don't have as much flavor. Something was missing, and I thought a little honey would do the trick. It did, and I think it came out rather nice.
Trina, my scene partner from the final Meisner scenes was one of my fellow auditioners on Sunday. She paid me and The Cherry Orchard the nicest compliment. She said our show was a bit slow the first half, but it developed so nicely she liked it even better than the Three Sisters. She was more drawn in and connected with the characters better. I consider that high praise as I saw Three Sisters myself, and thought it extremely well done. She really liked my work with the different characters too. My goal was to have someone tell me they saw totally different characters, not the same guy playing another role. I got two. (Thank you Rachel!)
I thought of that again today because I renewed my subscription for the Seattle Opera this year. Sounds like a tenuous connection you say? I chatted with the salesperson for quite a while about what we do outside the day jobs and what we like to watch. He is an avid fan and prefers classic operas done in a classic manner. We got to chatting and he told me it was ironic that his favorite opera of all time was Mourning Becomes Electra, which was a modern adaptation and production and directed by Bart Sher, the Artistic Director of the Intiman (and Assistant Directed by Rachel -- it's a small world). He liked the tightness, structure, choreography/blocking, etc. I admire Bart Sher a great deal, and regret I didn't get to see this one.
That wouldn't happen this year. I vacillated about getting tickets again. I'll be busy, and may run into financial hardships if accepted for ETI. Then I remembered the magic. I'll need to see something where I can totally escape from my day job and (dramatic) theatre and this is the ticket. Lots of pomp and circumstance and art. I'll find a way to get to those respites. Once I committed, I have started looking forward to them already. Even without ETI I'm going to try to really stretch this year. Better not break another freakin' leg!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home