The Water's Fine
My last post got some very nice and thoughtful comments and E-mails. Thank you! I've been swamped with work, and haven't responded like I should. Speaking of which, it is Rachel's first day back at her Microsoft day job.
Hot damn. I had a great time during my first audition coaching session with Jessica yesterday. It was such a gift to do a little deep work with someone. It occurs to me I've not worked with text in that kind of setting since I finished the Meisner Progression last year. It was nearly surreal. When Jessica gave me directorial notes, I didn't try to be "this way" or "that way." Rather I adjusted the way I/my character felt and let that inform my reading. It was not deliberate, I didn't realize the profound change in my process until I was driving home.
I wasn't doing tremendous work, but it certainly wasn't suckage either. Definitely better than the recitations of poetry or scenes for a few friends and relatives I've done the last year. Those make me nervous as Hell, though I like the challenge I let others make the suggestion so as not to be a boor, or at least to be a boor at someone else's request. I wanted a foundation, that's why I applied for the Meisner Progression. It is experiences like this and the audition a week or so back which tell me how much I developed as an artist. Up until that point when I was working or taking direction I was very aware of how I thought I appeared. That does not enter my consciousness much at all now. I instinctively work to find the character. Fellow actors will understand the huge beginning step this is, and I hope I gave others a feel for it.
Jessica taught the Meisner Progression before Robin. I'd guess Robin will pass it to someone else at some point. I found it a sublime, wonderful, and ecstatic experience. It is also an exhausting program, and for a connected and fully present instructor it must be more so. Maybe that is why Meisner himself had a reputation for being a mean old son of a bitch. People I've chatted with who studied under him loved him, and the fondness radiates through their descriptions of him as a "mean old bastard." Given his generation and background, I wonder if he could have dealt with the constant deep work in any other way.
Jessica studied under one of Meisner's students. Her experience with and teaching Meisner was very nice. It of course gives us additional common acquaintances, it also gave us a common vocabulary. When we were done she complimented on doing some very nice work. I suspect she was being a bit kind, but I was also grateful and believe it was sincere. I really enjoyed myself and she gave me some great monologues to work on. Most of the monologues she gives to people are pieced together from a play, so while bits might be seen, nobody will have the same monologue.
I rented a copy of On The Waterfront to watch per her advice, looking at the type of characters played by Brando and Malden. Also, I'm to look at Randy Quaid and his roles. Never thought of myself in that light (cool), so it should some fun homework, along with reading eight or ten plays, and analyzing the monologues.
I could go on, it was a great 90 minute hour. She enjoyed my comment, "That happens when you get two garrulous people together." One more thing though. She and her husband have a pair of cockatiels. I've never been much for birds, but I was swayed. The male is the friendly one, and he didn't want to take a nap so he joined us. A very friendly little fellow, and like the other bird, gorgeous. He liked opening the packet of raw sugar, seemingly aware he was being naughty. Their chirping and calls did not bother me while reading, though when he started climbing up my leg the first time it threw me, and I started over. When I finished Jessica was surprised, "He's never done that with a stranger. Really." I'm a cat person and it surprised me the bird took to me so. I really liked them, so maybe that was enough. He gently climbed my trousers, to my shirt, then to my shoulder, using feet and beak. Fifteen minutes later he did it again. I really like that little fellow, and hope he is just as precocious next time I visit.
Afterwards I headed to Gregory's for his moving sale. He is starting the MFA program at Rutgers next Fall, and is purging a lot of stuff. In addition to 60+ scripts and some utility shelves I picked up his rapier (certified for stage combat). It was a little big for him, otherwise he'd probably keep it. Being a bigger fellow with larger hands it seemed perfect for me. I guess I'll just have to study stage combat next year.
Speaking of moving, I expect Steve and Paula will be moving in the next year or two as well. It is part of the joy of theatre. I'm not being facetious. My best friends will likely live thousands of miles away before long. We'll always be friends, likely we will get together many times in the future, maybe even working together again. Theatre has taught me you can make new close friends, and if anything it strengthens your existing bonds. That sure won't make my eyes stay dry when the people I'm closest to move.
Sunday was my busy day. Saturday I mostly loafed with my leg in the air. It was pretty done in by the end of the week and needed the rest. Beth came over Saturday night and we had pizza and salad and watched Star Wars 4, or Episode One as they call it. I wasn't so irritated by Jar Jar Spinks, but only because I knew not to pay attention to him this time. It's all in preparation for the new movie coming out.
Earlier in the week I rented Shark Tale. Utter crap, you never cared much about the characters, and they never stepped away from formula or stereotype for a moment. It seems silly to slam a cartoon, but it was so stereotypical it made me edgy in a cross way, like an amplification of the uncomfortable feeling for a joke going horribly wrong.
So, I started with Sunday and quickly backed up to my last post. Let's check out Monday. The kids were at school this week, and really liked my cane. "He's gonna hit us with the stick!" was an oft repeated joke. Too bad they have that long Summer vacation. I'm going to really miss them while I'm waiting for a new class or two.
I start the "Singing and Alexander" class. Singing? What was I thinking? Oh yeah, get a good introduction to the Alexander Technique and follow my fears. Maybe I'm not healthy enough to make the commute? Nice try, but no cigar. I commuted on the old motorcycle today. Again the hard part was putting on the boot, but the ride was worth the effort. Along with the audition coaching it is a milestone marking my re-entry into theatre since getting injured, because it allows me to get to classes and rehearsals without having to leave the office early.
I now think of theatre as my second vocation or career. Or maybe my first since I think of Expedia as my day job. It came up with both Gregory and my weekly chat with my folks* that I'm toying with the idea of looking into MFA programs in a year or two. Obviously (to me) I need more time on the boards, and it is not something I'm dead set on, yet I have certainly not ruled it out. With Gregory we were talking about how many schools pay you a modest amount, and for me that is important because I don't want to raid what retirement savings I have. With my Dad we were talking of my cousin who is a year and a half older than I and going to law school with his wife. They are a great example, reminding me I can still look into graduate programs.
* My folks are starting the drive back to the Puget Sound region this week. I'm really looking forward to seeing them.
Short injury report:
The weekend was a welcome respite. I've been taking it easy, but using a cane has put a lot of work on it. The shin region near the tibia fracture site hurts like the blazes. Something like really bad shin splints. I suppose the damage is fairly similar to real shin splints. Strength is returning, it is not a big effort to stand on the bum leg. Next is being able to lift my weight with the calf. Standing on the toes of my right foot is not possible just yet. I can move my foot enough now that the ankle cracks a bit when I'm limbering up. It feels good, and I take it as a very positive sign.
Hot damn. I had a great time during my first audition coaching session with Jessica yesterday. It was such a gift to do a little deep work with someone. It occurs to me I've not worked with text in that kind of setting since I finished the Meisner Progression last year. It was nearly surreal. When Jessica gave me directorial notes, I didn't try to be "this way" or "that way." Rather I adjusted the way I/my character felt and let that inform my reading. It was not deliberate, I didn't realize the profound change in my process until I was driving home.
I wasn't doing tremendous work, but it certainly wasn't suckage either. Definitely better than the recitations of poetry or scenes for a few friends and relatives I've done the last year. Those make me nervous as Hell, though I like the challenge I let others make the suggestion so as not to be a boor, or at least to be a boor at someone else's request. I wanted a foundation, that's why I applied for the Meisner Progression. It is experiences like this and the audition a week or so back which tell me how much I developed as an artist. Up until that point when I was working or taking direction I was very aware of how I thought I appeared. That does not enter my consciousness much at all now. I instinctively work to find the character. Fellow actors will understand the huge beginning step this is, and I hope I gave others a feel for it.
Jessica taught the Meisner Progression before Robin. I'd guess Robin will pass it to someone else at some point. I found it a sublime, wonderful, and ecstatic experience. It is also an exhausting program, and for a connected and fully present instructor it must be more so. Maybe that is why Meisner himself had a reputation for being a mean old son of a bitch. People I've chatted with who studied under him loved him, and the fondness radiates through their descriptions of him as a "mean old bastard." Given his generation and background, I wonder if he could have dealt with the constant deep work in any other way.
Jessica studied under one of Meisner's students. Her experience with and teaching Meisner was very nice. It of course gives us additional common acquaintances, it also gave us a common vocabulary. When we were done she complimented on doing some very nice work. I suspect she was being a bit kind, but I was also grateful and believe it was sincere. I really enjoyed myself and she gave me some great monologues to work on. Most of the monologues she gives to people are pieced together from a play, so while bits might be seen, nobody will have the same monologue.
I rented a copy of On The Waterfront to watch per her advice, looking at the type of characters played by Brando and Malden. Also, I'm to look at Randy Quaid and his roles. Never thought of myself in that light (cool), so it should some fun homework, along with reading eight or ten plays, and analyzing the monologues.
I could go on, it was a great 90 minute hour. She enjoyed my comment, "That happens when you get two garrulous people together." One more thing though. She and her husband have a pair of cockatiels. I've never been much for birds, but I was swayed. The male is the friendly one, and he didn't want to take a nap so he joined us. A very friendly little fellow, and like the other bird, gorgeous. He liked opening the packet of raw sugar, seemingly aware he was being naughty. Their chirping and calls did not bother me while reading, though when he started climbing up my leg the first time it threw me, and I started over. When I finished Jessica was surprised, "He's never done that with a stranger. Really." I'm a cat person and it surprised me the bird took to me so. I really liked them, so maybe that was enough. He gently climbed my trousers, to my shirt, then to my shoulder, using feet and beak. Fifteen minutes later he did it again. I really like that little fellow, and hope he is just as precocious next time I visit.
Afterwards I headed to Gregory's for his moving sale. He is starting the MFA program at Rutgers next Fall, and is purging a lot of stuff. In addition to 60+ scripts and some utility shelves I picked up his rapier (certified for stage combat). It was a little big for him, otherwise he'd probably keep it. Being a bigger fellow with larger hands it seemed perfect for me. I guess I'll just have to study stage combat next year.
Speaking of moving, I expect Steve and Paula will be moving in the next year or two as well. It is part of the joy of theatre. I'm not being facetious. My best friends will likely live thousands of miles away before long. We'll always be friends, likely we will get together many times in the future, maybe even working together again. Theatre has taught me you can make new close friends, and if anything it strengthens your existing bonds. That sure won't make my eyes stay dry when the people I'm closest to move.
Sunday was my busy day. Saturday I mostly loafed with my leg in the air. It was pretty done in by the end of the week and needed the rest. Beth came over Saturday night and we had pizza and salad and watched Star Wars 4, or Episode One as they call it. I wasn't so irritated by Jar Jar Spinks, but only because I knew not to pay attention to him this time. It's all in preparation for the new movie coming out.
Earlier in the week I rented Shark Tale. Utter crap, you never cared much about the characters, and they never stepped away from formula or stereotype for a moment. It seems silly to slam a cartoon, but it was so stereotypical it made me edgy in a cross way, like an amplification of the uncomfortable feeling for a joke going horribly wrong.
So, I started with Sunday and quickly backed up to my last post. Let's check out Monday. The kids were at school this week, and really liked my cane. "He's gonna hit us with the stick!" was an oft repeated joke. Too bad they have that long Summer vacation. I'm going to really miss them while I'm waiting for a new class or two.
I start the "Singing and Alexander" class. Singing? What was I thinking? Oh yeah, get a good introduction to the Alexander Technique and follow my fears. Maybe I'm not healthy enough to make the commute? Nice try, but no cigar. I commuted on the old motorcycle today. Again the hard part was putting on the boot, but the ride was worth the effort. Along with the audition coaching it is a milestone marking my re-entry into theatre since getting injured, because it allows me to get to classes and rehearsals without having to leave the office early.
I now think of theatre as my second vocation or career. Or maybe my first since I think of Expedia as my day job. It came up with both Gregory and my weekly chat with my folks* that I'm toying with the idea of looking into MFA programs in a year or two. Obviously (to me) I need more time on the boards, and it is not something I'm dead set on, yet I have certainly not ruled it out. With Gregory we were talking about how many schools pay you a modest amount, and for me that is important because I don't want to raid what retirement savings I have. With my Dad we were talking of my cousin who is a year and a half older than I and going to law school with his wife. They are a great example, reminding me I can still look into graduate programs.
* My folks are starting the drive back to the Puget Sound region this week. I'm really looking forward to seeing them.
Short injury report:
The weekend was a welcome respite. I've been taking it easy, but using a cane has put a lot of work on it. The shin region near the tibia fracture site hurts like the blazes. Something like really bad shin splints. I suppose the damage is fairly similar to real shin splints. Strength is returning, it is not a big effort to stand on the bum leg. Next is being able to lift my weight with the calf. Standing on the toes of my right foot is not possible just yet. I can move my foot enough now that the ankle cracks a bit when I'm limbering up. It feels good, and I take it as a very positive sign.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home