Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, April 04, 2005

Getting Jiggly

I love Mondays. I read to the kids again today, chapters four and five from King Of Shadows. There were descriptions of chamber pot usage and dumping the contents out the window to the street below, and of decomposing heads on posts on London bridge. Lots of "Ewws!" The kids are enjoying the story. They are not like grown ups. They are constantly fooling me. The one who is pushing a piece of dust around the hills and valleys of the carpet with a fingertip is the one who seems to have been listening the closest. After a long meeting I sometimes can't tell you what it was about, and by the time I get to my office I can't remember the most interesting part, how many holes there were in the ceiling tile. The kids seem to remember it all.

This week when I came in, the kids were asking, "Did you bring your camera?" That has been a fun request. Several weeks ago, I asked if it would be alright to take pictures, so I could remember the kids names faster. Ever since they have been asking if I brought my camera. Well, a friend has been borrowing it. Last week I told them if I didn't have my digital camera back, I'd get a disposable one, and I did just that. Richard asked if he could be first, and ended up writing down everybody's names as I took the pictures. We had a lot of fun, and when we were done we did two more pictures of the whole class and Ms. Hulteng.

I was nearly late. Yesterday I forgot to change my clock, was only vaguely aware that Daylight Savings Time started on Sunday. I went to an audition, and instead of being forty minutes early, I was twenty minutes late. Luckily, I wasn't the only one. I debated internally about this audition with myself quite a bit. It is another community theatre production, and on the one hand I find it especially challenging to apply and develop the tools I've been working to learn. Of course, that challenge makes it something to take on. That, and I committed to auditioning for more shows at the Port Orchard community theatre. Not that anyone but myself remembers or expects me to live up to that commitment. I continue to believe community theatre is important and vital to the community, the arts and artists, and supports the bigger, posher productions.

I've grown in the three years since I last sought out an audition for community theatre. Then I was intimidated by the experienced folks. Now I ask myself, "How will it be working with these people?" On the surface it is much the same question as I asked three years ago. I was worried about making an ass of myself, and of course now that is a goal. Seriously though, I am wondering more about the art we will create together when I ask myself that question now.

I auditioned for the lead. I haven't done that before, and figured it was about time and it would challenge my process the very most, as I'll be working to pull the other actors along. I've noticed in the community theatre productions I've worked in that an experienced and connected actor can draw deeper performances from the other actors. In classes I've had I've noticed this too, particularly in Rachel's classes at BCC. The second and third quarters I was paired with talented actors who enabled me to attain performances beyond my level. By that I mean I didn't have the tools to create such rich characters on my own, but my scene partner and Rachel's approach provided gifts letting me see what could happen. I hope give that gift to others someday.

It turns out I was the only one auditioning for the lead yesterday, and the director was very pleased with my work. He made a point of telling me and thanking me at least three times. He even told me that there was a good chance I had the role, unless someone really good shows up tonight. I was very encouraged, as I wasn't very mobile on stage, staying in a chair almost the whole time thanks to the bum leg. Maybe that was a good thing, as directors are always telling me to stay planted, as it serves to give me a strong stage presence. I don't imagine the crutches do much for a strong presence though. I keep thinking, I'm not a Tiny Tim, more of a Giant George.

I should find out tomorrow or the next day if I'm cast. It is a fun comedy, and a character who would be fun to develop playing with his moral strengths and lapses. It is a bit of a send up of modern marketing, but not terribly deep. A good fun community theatre piece, and if I get the part I'll do my damnedest to build an authentic, engaging, and enjoyable character.

I've still got to write and send minutes for the meeting I had with Greg last week about my nascent theatre idea. He got me thinking about what I want with the theatre. Not the long term goals I've mentioned, but immediate desires. I want a chance to do some meaningful work, using the tools I've worked to obtain, with other people wanting to do deep work with a similar process. Very much an ensemble of like-minded people doing art. An audience, and then a venue are in my mind, but the ensemble is what drives and excites me. How to put it in words for the people I'd like to attract.

The leg still continues to improve. It can bear more weight every day, and range of motion is now increasing daily too. It still hurts, but seeing the improvement keeps me from slacking off. I've been unbreaking an old habit. I was a constant leg jiggler for years and years. Well, it seems to help the leg muscles and range of motion, so I'm doing it deliberately. Hopefully, it won't be hard to give up the jiggling again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home