Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Saturday, April 09, 2005

Getting Ahead

The baseball game was great. The lead changed the last four or five innings, keeping us all pretty engaged. It was a lot colder than I expected, but the exciting game and a bit of discomfort from the healing leg helped me forget the cold. Willie Bloomquist, the young utility player from my hometown done good, padding our final lead with two points hitting a 2 rbi double for his first at bat of the season. It was especially nice because they'd just walked Ichiro loading the bases to get to Willie. Final score, 9-6, the Mariners winning.

Now onto some musing on our leadership. Are Americans really so stupid? There is the obvious, of the conservatives whining about the taxes and policies which gave them the very opportunities enabling them to get where they are today. I guess being conservative means being too cowardly and avaricious to permit the same possibilities for others. I'm not quite sure why they feel allowing other people to do well is so incredibly threatening. Neither do I understand their passive, yet favorite recruiting tool, racism and discrimination. Theirs is a mind set I have trouble understanding.

They never give up, the greed motivates them so well. George couldn't quite get people excited with the big social security lie of an imminent collapse, but they still want to get the money out of the hands of those who it protects (retirees) and back into the hands of those (predatory businesses) it was created to protect the retirees from. Now George, the wall street shill, is touting a new way to get the money out of social security and into his cronies' pockets. It is certainly in their interest to spend billions on advertising to convince people that having their safety net raided is in their best interest. If you don't think our corporate folks aren't capable of such amoral behavior, just watch commercials without blinders. Speak of the devil, there is a MacDonald's commercial on right now telling people to come to MacDonald's where you can eat healthy...

I believe they have a better than even chance of dismantling social security as a viable or reliable safety net. It has already been raided to subsidize other programs, basically through unsecured loans, and the profligate spending of the current administration, has as one of it's goals to further raid and cripple social programs.

I don't thing there will be a viable candidate who would do it, but if there was someone who had as part of their platform to investigate and prosecute Bush, Cheney, et al for war crimes, embezzlement, and fraud with the same vigor used to persecute Clinton's marital infidelity they'd have my vote. Embezzlement is the wrong term, but taking money away from the taxpayers and military for bastards like Haliburton is certainly a high crime.

Now for today's injury report.

I have two canes, one was part of a gag gift for my 40th birthday and the other belonged to my stepfather. The gag cane got some epoxy and a rubber tip, as it is a decent cane, but the tips fall off too easily. Jack's old cane needed repair as well. It is has a handle which is basically like the cross bar of an elongated 'T'. It was loose, so I drilled a new hole, added epoxy and a three inch wood screw. I was on a cane for a little while several years ago as a result of my motorcycle crash, so I knew what both canes needed. The glue will be completely hardened tomorrow, so I'm back to a single crutch for the remainder of the day.

I am looking forward to the day when the pain starts to decrease. I'm still experiencing rapid recovery, and push to keep the pain at an even level. It can't go on forever. I think. I wonder if that is part of the whole healing process. The initial injury is pretty intense, and the pain during the healing process is much less. That initial spike, makes the lesser pain easier to deal with so it can be used as guidance instead of avoidance during the recovery. There was one bit I thought was kind of funny last week. When I first started putting weight on the right foot again, there were a couple strange sensations. It felt like muffled bubble wrap, a gentle crackling as everything was starting to work and move again. There was also the feeling of a rusty hinge squeaking. Like tenosynovitis, but without the discomfort.

I'd planned on giving the leg a break (unintentional bad pun) today, but all the little things I did around the house have given it quite a work out. Moved my sleeping quarters from the couch back downstairs thinking I won't need to elevate the leg any longer at night. Showered without a chair. I know, "Big deal" you say, but that is something I didn't expect to be able to do for at least another week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home