Da!
I'm listening to Gustav Holst's The Planets as performed by the LA Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Zubin Mehta. His name is on the cover, so that is my guess. It starts off with "Mars, the Bringer of War." Wow. There are tracks I restart on a number of CD's, like bits from Rigoletto, The Beatles, etc. There is something about Mars, though. What a way to start. I really like a lot of the other tracks too, maybe some better. Mars is the perfect one to start with. What Stephen Dietz called the "stop moment," when he spoke to a playwriting class I was taking. He compared it to walking down the street when someone breaks a large window. Passers by will stop a moment. Starting a play you want to do the same thing. Hook 'em at the outset. The first movement of The Planets is a stop moment for me.
I just got an e-mail from Vince, the Artistic Director of Exchange Theatre, asking if I wanted a small part in their production of The Cherry Orchard. I checked back with Freehold about the Rehearsal/Performance class I left a message about, and my leg wouldn't be an issue, since it had been full since the second day of registration. So, Chekhov? No brainer. It doesn't get me out of the comfort zone as far as auditioning for roles, but who gives a shit? Chekhov. I was trying to decide if I should audition for this production, I was thinking I wouldn't be comfortable until I had some dedicated classical training. Then I found myself in the hospital the first day of auditions. Assuming the director is okay with me, I'll be playing the Passer By in Act 2 who is supposed to have a wonderful speech and presence, and the Post Master who does not have lines. Guess what I'll be reading the next few days? (Anyone local have copy of Frayn's translation?)
Some numbnut filled the decaf carafe at work with regular coffee. Set me up perfect for a weekly meeting with the folks for whom I am doing the most work at the moment. We chat anyway, plus being excited about the part, I was a little manic. Most of us are artsy outside of work so it was a fun conversation. Nice to have as the third, fourth, and fifth people I told.
I called my Dad in Arizona, and happened to catch him at home. He is the person in the family who would most appreciate the opportunity, being a theatre fan and actor too, so I was happy to share it with him first.
I was exchanging E-mails with Greg about my minutes and thoughts regarding my nascent theatre company aspirations, when Vince contacted me, making him the second person I told, and a very appropriate person to share my excitement with. I believe the reputation of Freehold's advanced training programs like Meisner made the difference, and what they have seen of me since finishing the program. I know the stage manager, and last month he told me they had no shortage of talented people auditioning, so there was more than just my reputation for playing well with others and reliability at play. At least that is the interpretation I am choosing, and I'll not be asking anyone to confirm or deny. :) Why do I think it apropos I happened to share it with Greg so soon? He is currently undergoing the Meisner Progression.
Right now I am finishing up at work, waiting for the results of some unit tests. For you non-geekly folks, unit testing is what a software developer does before turning it's programming effort over to the official testers. It is all looking good. Dinner and the mattress are calling...
Leg Update:
This stupid son of a bitch is hurting much more this week. I know it is from walking with a cane. Good progress, helping to speed along further progress, and I'm not especially happy about it at the moment. I nearly reverted to the crutches this morning, as the middle of the night business was something less than fun. I thought I'd pee myself before I made it to the intended spot for that function. It wasn't quite so bad this morning, but the muscles and such are sore and stiff. Reminds me of early basic training under the loving care of marine drill instructors. At least it is only the one leg right now.
If I ever have a part where a disability of some sort is needed these journal entries will be handy for research. Other than that I'm not sure there is any reason for writing or reading them.
Summary of the last couple months:
1) A broken leg hurts like the devil.
2) Sometimes it hurts a lot more.
3) Friends are a blessing too wonderful to categorize
4) Number 3 makes 1 and 2 an adventure of sorts instead of a trial.
I just got an e-mail from Vince, the Artistic Director of Exchange Theatre, asking if I wanted a small part in their production of The Cherry Orchard. I checked back with Freehold about the Rehearsal/Performance class I left a message about, and my leg wouldn't be an issue, since it had been full since the second day of registration. So, Chekhov? No brainer. It doesn't get me out of the comfort zone as far as auditioning for roles, but who gives a shit? Chekhov. I was trying to decide if I should audition for this production, I was thinking I wouldn't be comfortable until I had some dedicated classical training. Then I found myself in the hospital the first day of auditions. Assuming the director is okay with me, I'll be playing the Passer By in Act 2 who is supposed to have a wonderful speech and presence, and the Post Master who does not have lines. Guess what I'll be reading the next few days? (Anyone local have copy of Frayn's translation?)
Some numbnut filled the decaf carafe at work with regular coffee. Set me up perfect for a weekly meeting with the folks for whom I am doing the most work at the moment. We chat anyway, plus being excited about the part, I was a little manic. Most of us are artsy outside of work so it was a fun conversation. Nice to have as the third, fourth, and fifth people I told.
I called my Dad in Arizona, and happened to catch him at home. He is the person in the family who would most appreciate the opportunity, being a theatre fan and actor too, so I was happy to share it with him first.
I was exchanging E-mails with Greg about my minutes and thoughts regarding my nascent theatre company aspirations, when Vince contacted me, making him the second person I told, and a very appropriate person to share my excitement with. I believe the reputation of Freehold's advanced training programs like Meisner made the difference, and what they have seen of me since finishing the program. I know the stage manager, and last month he told me they had no shortage of talented people auditioning, so there was more than just my reputation for playing well with others and reliability at play. At least that is the interpretation I am choosing, and I'll not be asking anyone to confirm or deny. :) Why do I think it apropos I happened to share it with Greg so soon? He is currently undergoing the Meisner Progression.
Right now I am finishing up at work, waiting for the results of some unit tests. For you non-geekly folks, unit testing is what a software developer does before turning it's programming effort over to the official testers. It is all looking good. Dinner and the mattress are calling...
Leg Update:
This stupid son of a bitch is hurting much more this week. I know it is from walking with a cane. Good progress, helping to speed along further progress, and I'm not especially happy about it at the moment. I nearly reverted to the crutches this morning, as the middle of the night business was something less than fun. I thought I'd pee myself before I made it to the intended spot for that function. It wasn't quite so bad this morning, but the muscles and such are sore and stiff. Reminds me of early basic training under the loving care of marine drill instructors. At least it is only the one leg right now.
If I ever have a part where a disability of some sort is needed these journal entries will be handy for research. Other than that I'm not sure there is any reason for writing or reading them.
Summary of the last couple months:
1) A broken leg hurts like the devil.
2) Sometimes it hurts a lot more.
3) Friends are a blessing too wonderful to categorize
4) Number 3 makes 1 and 2 an adventure of sorts instead of a trial.
1 Comments:
Chekhov! Wonderful, Scott. Congratulations -- on the role, on getting to do Chekhov, and on being cast as a "desirable known quantity" by the director.
Fyi, Leonid Anisimov liked Carol Rocamora's translation best, of the ones available in English, if you want to buy a second translation for comparison/depth.
I'm sorry to hear the leg is hurting. Obey the pain... Give your leg what it's asking for, it's performing a fricking miracle in there, and not really asking for much except food, rest, and sleep to do it.
Post a Comment
<< Home