Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Saturday, April 23, 2005

Cuppa Three

Sort of. Post Cuppa Three. I scarfed down the final leaded coffee as I was proofing and posting my previous. Now I'm on to my placebo -- decaf.

I'm buzzing, and this a first writing along some specific rant lines. If it doesn't tie together, tough.

Powell finally found his balls. I bet he's been missing them, and wonder whose pocket is a little roomier now. I was astounded when I read in the news he spoke unfavorably about Bolton. After his lap dog status as Secretary of State I didn't think he'd ever speak out in the political arena. Is the man we admired in the past re-emerging? I have spoken very harshly of the man because the courage and integrity I'd once admired were sacrificed on the alter of obeisance to the most corrupt administration in my lifetime, likely our country's lifetime. Thank you Colin, for restoring a smidgen of the admiration you trashed over the last five years. I am hopeful.

Every time I read the news my rage simmers. I can usually let it go. Is that a good thing? I sincerely believe our country is in the throws of mass cowardice, a theme I've explored before. Greed and bigotry are simply types of cowardice and our leaders embrace them all. Their is no other way I can understand our headlong rush into war. You need fear from the populace to send our troops to die, a profit motive from the people in charge. Bad intelligence? What a joke, I spin up every time our leaders throw that one out. They had good analyses, and threw them out, discredited and/or punished the people writing them, then ordered 'corrected' intelligence. Why else was Tenet honored with a medal?

Conservatives laud the action. How brave is that? "Uh, we didn't really go in to get wmd's, we went in to neutralize Saddam. Not really, actually we went in to liberate Iraq." By killing more innocent civilians than Saddam? The resistance? We label them insurrectionist. Nice. Hey you conservatives look up the definition of the word insurrection, if you have the balls to peer through the curtain of your own demagoguery. Somehow I don't think we can actually be considered an established or constituted government. Oh, it is so much easier for the conservative to dismiss all Arab folks who call us the aggressor as terrorists. With a mindset that any non-christian, non-white person who disagrees with you is a terrorist, how can we carry on a dialogue with the Arab world? Saddam is a bad guy. So what? He was trained and funded by the very folks who have taken him down along with the rest of Iraq. You notice he has been silenced? Can't have old Saddam saying things which would make us look more ludicrous than we already appear for not throwing some other choice war criminals like Cheney and Rumsfeld in the clink with him.

We are a country run by religious zealots. As a whole, we see no inconsistency with Microsoft insisting we enforce ethical conduct on their customers, going so far as to call them pirates. Yet when lightly pushed by fundamentalists they go back on their commitment to treat gays with fairness and respect. The word they explicitly gave carries no weight, but it is not an ethical problem? Burning a copy of their software is a big problem? Call on ethical conduct by all individuals to protect the uber corporations, but don't dare hold them to any standard but expediency.

The Catholic and other fundamentalist christian sects have proven themselves to be modern day Pharisees. Again, look up the definition of the word. Who is the first to throw stones at people they disapprove of? That's right, those who claim they are doing God's work. How nice it must be for God to have them making judgments. He/She must be a little miffed at their loud inference he is not doing a good enough job. I remember when the previous pope started, a man who offered such promise, but when it came down to brass tacks didn't have the courage to address the most serious problem on the planet. Over population. Instead he was more concerned with usurping God's judgment on earth, and stone people like those scary queers.

Still, he was considered liberal? To make up for it, they put a modern day inquisitor, the man who more than any other is known for squelching dissent in the church by any means, in the seat of power? Hate and fear, the tool of fundamentalists from all religions, are once again in the mainstream of the western world. Oh, it makes me shiver with ghastly anticipation. From the letters to the editor and other bits I've read the voice of reason and conscious, or liberalism the close-minded would say, in the Catholic church are going to be attacked. Go you Jesuits, do what you can to promote decency and dissent in your church. You may disagree, but be careful, I believe your church is less worthy of dying for than ever before.

I was raised a christian, in a relatively open church. The Methodists have moved to the right, deciding it is time to join in the paroxysm of orgasmic hatred and stone the queers. Who will be next? Get the colored folks back where they belong? Put the bitches back in their place? Burn heretics? Just how far back will the conservatives take us before we rediscover our courage and ethics? I fear it will take much longer than it took Colin Powell.

[ Actual time of post 5:00AM ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home