Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Baby Steps

Today's journal title brings to mind a Bill Murray movie I want to watch again. It may be an obscure reference limited to my family. Does anyone else have a clue as to what movie I'm thinking of?

I haven't heard back on the audition I attended on Sunday, so I'm going to look for some auditions for next week. I'm hoping to start commuting on the Suzuki next week, as the Moto Guzzi is in need of servicing. Besides, the Suzuki is lighter, so it will be more comfortable to ride for a bit.

I haven't ruled out the Port Orchard production, rather I figure I've been ruled out. I've got to find a project or two to work on before I go (more) nuts. We all have to be deliciously nuts to be in this business, just not seriously nuts. Is the kernel of my thought clear, did I get to the meat of it, does the thought bear fruit, are the lame puns too nutty?

Oh, and writing too. I need to get my butt moving. Several people in very different circumstances have got me thinking of my McCarthyism piece recently. I need to get over my anger at our current crop of homegrown despots, and learn, think, and write about it. I also need to finish rewriting The Thai Getaway.

And now for the ongoing injury report.

It is not earth shattering news. I put on my trousers and shorts without sitting down and rising. Did it all standing up. Such a small accomplishment, but meaningful. Balance and strength are returning enough that with just a little effort and discomfort normal tasks can start being done in the normal way again, even if it is painfully slow. I'd sure like get the chair out of the shower in a week or so.

Yesterday I started wearing a shoe on my right foot. I was worried the swelling might force me to take it off. It was not necessary. It turns out the hardest part of all was putting the shoe on. The shin felt like it was on fire. I need to stretch and do some weight bearing leg flexes before donning the shoe next time. I'm thinking my goal to start riding the motorcycle in the next week won't be based on whether the right leg can bear enough weight, but on how much it hurts to put on my riding boots.

It was fun to tell people who noticed I wasn't wearing the knitted slipper, using a southern accent, "Well, I ain't worn a pair of shoes in a coon's age." I suspect friends are getting tired of bad broken leg jokes.

The trauma based weight loss program. When I broke my leg I was ranging between 248 and 254 in the morning. The last four weeks, I've been right at 230. This weekend it increased a pound or two a day, and I was at 234 yesterday. This morning I was back down to 230. I'd forgotten how much my scale fluctuates, and was going nuts trying to figure how I'd put weight back on so quickly. Still, it seems I lost a good twenty pounds, and have kept it off. I'd guess I'm still on a gradual downward trend, my appetite is still much smaller, though since the pain seriously ameliorated at the very end of week two I've started eating pretty regularly. I lost twenty pounds in the first week or two, mostly by not eating much thanks to the pain.

Using crutches and adapting habits to get around and about is a decent work out, so combined with the reduced intake I'm guessing as I got food back into my alimentary tract I was taking off real weight at the same time. It shows. My waist is reduced, I'm the most likely person to notice that. What other people notice is my face. When I lose or gain weight that is the first place it shows. The discomfort initially made my face look gaunt. Now that my disposition is closer to normal, people have started saying, "You've lost some weight," instead of, "You're looking pretty banged up."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home