Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, March 18, 2005

Ready, Set, Wait...

Wow. I've been putting a little weight on my leg, just a few pounds, and moving it about the way the way the physical therapist recommended. Also, I sometimes move it around when I'm at home and going slow as though I was walking. No weight, just reminding the muscles so I maintain good muscle memory when the time comes.

I was in the kitchen Tuesday night, doing something with a frozen gourmet pizza I was preparing and put a few pounds on the leg. There was an amazing feeling of a knuckle, or large joint popping, only it came the front middle portion of my shin. It was above the break, and with the steel bar there isn't a worry but it startled me just the same. Very quickly common sense prevailed, reminding me that it would take more than 2-5 pounds pressure to do anything to either bone, especially the steel reinforced tibia. Just some muscle or tendon snapping back where it belonged. Still the adrenalin surge took a minute to soothe. It's the same when I watch action movies. When they bang people up it feels real personal now. I figure I should watch an old Steven Segal movie. He liked breaking arms and legs in those movies, and the cringe factor would be so high right now, it'd be bound to be a little humorous.

So I'm still getting better every day, and going slightly battier too. I fix that by going to shows. I saw The Secret In The Wings last night at the Seattle Rep. I loved the set, which in their typical fashion was overly elaborate. What I liked was the feel and novelty, which could have been done much cheaper. It was a nice show, though the story was disappointing at times. The acting was way below par for professional theatre. For the most part the actors were not especially connected to their characters or each other. Very slick blocking, movement, and training was employed, but deep work was overlooked. A couple actors, the fellow playing the ogre and the women who played the princess who wouldn't smile were connected, and raised the level of those with them. Given the size of the cast and the complexity of the show it wasn't enough to rescue the show from mediocrity. If they had half the heart of the actors in Communicating Doors it would have been a spectacular show, and no one would have cared about the holes in the story line. Why is it the Seattle Rep assiduously avoids local actors? They get folks from places like New York and Chicago, and over half the time they suck. The rep in particular seems to produce better shows when local talent is used. They are of course blind to it. Maybe I'm weird, but I could care less if someone had been in a tv show I've never seen. I want a truthful performance, not a shrink-wrapped caricature.

I hope to see a show or two this weekend, Rebecca by Book-It Theatre, and Hobson's Choice by Exchange Theatre. The trick is finding other people who are available and want to see the shows. My target to start driving is next Tuesday, with a short attempt on Sunday. I think I've enough mobility and strength in the right foot to operate the gas, but it is not ready for the brake pedal. So, I'll be trying to drive using the left foot for the brakes and clutch. And if the foot can't handle the gas no problem getting the truck back, thanks to the extremely low range setting for four wheel drive.

I've got to get to some shows, and do some writing to tide me over until I can start working on and in some shows, and maybe some studying too. Keep myself happy. The first week after I broke the leg, was the first time in five years I've been in the dumps for so long. Before that I had the blues most of my life. I've probably mentioned it before, but I detest the 'D' word. It's worn out by moody folks trying to find acclaim in their affliction instead of getting off their ass and doing something. There are people who suffer 'D', but only a fraction of those who buy into the drug companies promotions.

So keeping busy with things I love was the trick for me, and it took a fairly significant injury to give me the blues I lived with for so long. Damnit, what's the word for someone who is interested in nearly everything? That's what I always thought I was. I still am to a point, but not like I was. I was in search mode. Discovered lots on my way to finding my passion. Is it the same for everyone? Is that a common process, searching is a passion until one finds what touches their soul in an indelible way? Oh yeah, eclectic was the word I was looking for. My interests were eclectic, which really paid off for all the different things you need to do for a theatre.

My guidance for myself and others, is if you haven't got a fire inside you'd better be looking. If not, get off your freaking ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home