Nowhere In Particular
Monday is quickly becoming my most looked forward to day of the week. It is fun and natural to say, "I read to 'my' 4th grade class today." It is indeed tickling the kids look forward to it too. Sadly the first half of my time was preempted this week. One of the staff members, Mrs. Buck, had passed away from a rapid and aggressive liver cancer Thursday night. Friday was the day the rest of the staff dealt with the news, and Monday was the day for notifying the kids.
The other fourth grade class was brought in at 10:00 AM, with a slew of counselors from other elementary schools in the district, while the principal broke the news, and they answered the children's questions. A few of the kids didn't know Mrs. Buck, but all were quiet, respectful and/or hurting. I didn't know Mrs. Buck, but I teared up along with the kids.
As I read there were a number of red eyes. Kids were a little distracted, but still surprisingly attentive. I guess the story was a nice respite between hearing the news and then going for recess and talking about it with each other or a counselor. There was more than the usual disappointment when I wrapped up. So far they are enjoying the 'chapter' book.
I drove to work today for the first time. I can hold the brake with the right foot, but for driving the right foot will stick to the gas pedal. The left will operate the clutch and brake. For the next week or so while I regain strength and range of motion I'll only use the right foot to hold me on hills, which I'll avoid when I can.
In a bit I'll be heading over to my naturopathic chiropractor. First time since I broke the leg and I am looking forward to it. My back has been getting progressively better since I started seeing them, and it has been working hard lately, accommodating the bum leg. Besides they're nice folks. Limited driving and chiropractor. Life edging back towards normalcy.
My friend Kipley and a number of others have commented over the last year how liberal groups at protests or demonstrations look kind of funny, somehow detracting from the legitimacy of their viewpoint. Without thinking about it I nodded, "Yup. Uh huh." Then I thought about it some more, and I decided that is buying into right wing constant name calling as established fact.
Ever looked at an anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-Arab, ... type of demonstration? Instead of a colorful crowd, you have a drab, mean looking bunch, which reminds one more of brown shirts than anything else. Maybe it is because they have nothing to offer but condemnation of those who won't goose step along with them.
At some point I guess it depends what kind of crowd makes you feel more comfortable. In some ways I compare it to the people who quietly favored Kerry over Bush, unwilling to show support because they didn't like Kerry enough. As I've said before, they were the very folks responsible for electing Bush. If they'd the nads to actively support Kerry the fraud from Diebold and brother Jeb would not have been enough to reinstall king w. So, what I'm saying is worry more about why you support something, than whether co-supporters clash with your wardrobe. Something I need to consider pretty seriously myself.
Speaking of Kipley, if you're interested at all in starting a theatre, check out both his acting, and life blogs. He is working on an ambitious project in Hoboken. Once I start traveling for vacations, about 6 months from now, I hope to see some shows in New York and Hoboken. London is on my list too. Expedia is great, starting people off with 3 weeks of vacation, and right now I'm saving up four weeks for a class I hope to take this Summer. After that it's off to see shows in some other places.
Anyway, his theatre project is coming together very nicely, getting some dedicated people on board with a venue already available. I'm starting smaller, and I'm hoping to get the dedicated people first, artists then audience, and then working towards a semi-permanent venue. The theatre I hope to get started has to work against a history of dramatic theater failures in East King County. (That is a bit of a pun, I'm talking of dramatic theatre and dramatic failures.) It makes it hard to draw both audience and artists and has sunk numerous companies that tried to start by committing to expensive venues, then trying to draw artists and audience. Didn't work that way. I'm hoping an effort to satisfy the appetites of some east side artists will be the initial driving force which will carry the rest forward. Now that I'm almost mobile I'm working to get the ball rolling again, the ball which was dropped 12 hours after I started thanks to a nasty broken leg over a month ago.
The other fourth grade class was brought in at 10:00 AM, with a slew of counselors from other elementary schools in the district, while the principal broke the news, and they answered the children's questions. A few of the kids didn't know Mrs. Buck, but all were quiet, respectful and/or hurting. I didn't know Mrs. Buck, but I teared up along with the kids.
As I read there were a number of red eyes. Kids were a little distracted, but still surprisingly attentive. I guess the story was a nice respite between hearing the news and then going for recess and talking about it with each other or a counselor. There was more than the usual disappointment when I wrapped up. So far they are enjoying the 'chapter' book.
I drove to work today for the first time. I can hold the brake with the right foot, but for driving the right foot will stick to the gas pedal. The left will operate the clutch and brake. For the next week or so while I regain strength and range of motion I'll only use the right foot to hold me on hills, which I'll avoid when I can.
In a bit I'll be heading over to my naturopathic chiropractor. First time since I broke the leg and I am looking forward to it. My back has been getting progressively better since I started seeing them, and it has been working hard lately, accommodating the bum leg. Besides they're nice folks. Limited driving and chiropractor. Life edging back towards normalcy.
My friend Kipley and a number of others have commented over the last year how liberal groups at protests or demonstrations look kind of funny, somehow detracting from the legitimacy of their viewpoint. Without thinking about it I nodded, "Yup. Uh huh." Then I thought about it some more, and I decided that is buying into right wing constant name calling as established fact.
Ever looked at an anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-Arab, ... type of demonstration? Instead of a colorful crowd, you have a drab, mean looking bunch, which reminds one more of brown shirts than anything else. Maybe it is because they have nothing to offer but condemnation of those who won't goose step along with them.
At some point I guess it depends what kind of crowd makes you feel more comfortable. In some ways I compare it to the people who quietly favored Kerry over Bush, unwilling to show support because they didn't like Kerry enough. As I've said before, they were the very folks responsible for electing Bush. If they'd the nads to actively support Kerry the fraud from Diebold and brother Jeb would not have been enough to reinstall king w. So, what I'm saying is worry more about why you support something, than whether co-supporters clash with your wardrobe. Something I need to consider pretty seriously myself.
Speaking of Kipley, if you're interested at all in starting a theatre, check out both his acting, and life blogs. He is working on an ambitious project in Hoboken. Once I start traveling for vacations, about 6 months from now, I hope to see some shows in New York and Hoboken. London is on my list too. Expedia is great, starting people off with 3 weeks of vacation, and right now I'm saving up four weeks for a class I hope to take this Summer. After that it's off to see shows in some other places.
Anyway, his theatre project is coming together very nicely, getting some dedicated people on board with a venue already available. I'm starting smaller, and I'm hoping to get the dedicated people first, artists then audience, and then working towards a semi-permanent venue. The theatre I hope to get started has to work against a history of dramatic theater failures in East King County. (That is a bit of a pun, I'm talking of dramatic theatre and dramatic failures.) It makes it hard to draw both audience and artists and has sunk numerous companies that tried to start by committing to expensive venues, then trying to draw artists and audience. Didn't work that way. I'm hoping an effort to satisfy the appetites of some east side artists will be the initial driving force which will carry the rest forward. Now that I'm almost mobile I'm working to get the ball rolling again, the ball which was dropped 12 hours after I started thanks to a nasty broken leg over a month ago.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home