Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, March 14, 2005

Monday Colors

Ahhh. A mostly restful weekend. I saw the matinee as I'd hoped on Saturday. A very good job. They are a group of promising actors. They weren't connected at first, but they connected and built energy fairly quickly and did very nice work with a complex show, especially the second act. It was Alan Ayckbourn's Communicating Doors. Like all of his plays which I have seen it is fast paced and very complex, including complex characters. I know they had an abbreviated rehearsal schedule, and didn't expect them to do nearly as good as they did, despite my confidence in their talent and the director. It's a shame it was such a short run, because it felt like they were really starting to get their teeth into the work.

My friend Kate went to the show with me, after having visited and picked up dinner for me on Friday. This whole business with the broken leg has been a mixed blessing. The down part is obvious, but having so many friends go out of their way to visit and help me out has been a blessing I can't quite grasp. It has always been much, much easier for me to help out others than to accept help. Well, it is still hard but I have had to learn. My officemate Sindhura, my roommate Aaron, Beth, Bob, Paula, Steve, Gregory, Kate, Satish, and others have been generous in offering and giving their time. It really is overwhelming. My brother and my folks too. It is simply amazing. I get all misty when I think about how blessed I am.

This morning I read to my 4th grade class. They had a substitute today, Chris their regular teacher was out for minor surgery today. The classroom door is covered with papers, artwork by the students, so I have to knock on the door. I heard loud excited exclamations, "It's Scott!" "It's Scott!" What a wonderful welcome, especially considering today was only my fourth time reading. I hope we can find classes much sooner next year.

I'd told them I was going to read a story about Shakespeare, but it turns out it is a chapter book, not a picture book. So I read Enemy Pie, more of a boy's story to make up for Cinder-Edna which I read the first time. Afterwards I asked if they wanted to start the chapter book next week, and the response was an overwhelming "Yes!" Starting out the week with all the enthusiasm from this class is certainly a treat.

It was a great weekend. Good healing time, and a show. Today was a great day. Can't ask for a better Monday than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home