Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Sunday, March 20, 2005

Man About Town

Well, village anyway.

Trek accomplished. I was able to drive to my neighborhood store, pick up my prescription and do some grocery shopping. Two bonuses. I made it to Seattle's Best Coffee on the other side of the pharmacy and picked up a pound of ground half-caff espresso beans. It will be a few more weeks before I can drive into Seattle and get it from Caffe Vita, and I'm not inclined to any more. I like the small business and the quality, but I'm tired of the new staff which is unfriendly and can't seem to figure out the right grind, and I have to regrind it at home. I've got a vacuum jar, so grinding ahead of time doesn't hurt, and I prefer a grind to the little high speed choppers. Someday I'll find an adjustable hand grinder that will do everything from percolator to espresso grinds.

I also lucked out with the Girl Scout Cookies. Today was the last day and they were in front of the store. They increased the price this year, I guess they couldn't figure out how to package more air. They are a rip-off, and I'm sure the kids only get a small fraction of the profits. Even if you used real butter and such for ingredients, you could make the same thing in your kitchen for less than 25% of the price -- now use cheaper materials on an assembly line and figure out the cost. I bet the kids see less than 25% per box for themselves. I'm guessing your family values folks (republicans) who own the bakeries are pocketing at least $2.25 profit for each box. I like helping the kids out there selling cookies or mints, and even the darkness of the vultures profiteering off their fund-raiser won't get me down or make me stop helping the kids.

The pharmacy, coffee shop, and Camp Fire Girls were all easy to deal with. The grocery store was different. No way in Hell was I going to use one of those powered carts. How do you shop with crutches? I thought about pushing a shopping cart around, but couldn't picture a way unless I could put some significant weight on my leg. So I brought a gym bag. I've developed a taste for apples or pears, and nuts for breakfast. They are heavy, and so are frozen dinners. Even Amy's organic meals. It was a bit of a workout, and I built up a nice sweat. Happily the bagger carried them out to the truck for me. I packed the coffee and such in the bag when I got home, and I used the handles as shoulder straps. The actual shoulder strap is gone, and I wasn't going to tackle the stairs with the bag sharing a handhold with the crutch.

So I managed to get the truck, groceries, and myself back to the house safely. Two things learned. One is that I can probably start driving to work on Tuesday or Wednesday. Two is that I can't go on the freeway or Seattle until I can operate the brake easily with the right foot. Too many fools on the freeway, and concurrent use of the brake and clutch is a must. Same thing in Seattle, but different reason. The hills need normal footwork. In a pinch I could do either, I just don't want to. An emergency situation is more likely, and I could brake with the right leg, but don't need the discomfort.

It is interesting how a bum leg makes little chores big events, needing forethought. How will I get the groceries to the counter and into the house? What order should I shop in? What if my leg and foot start hurting so bad I can't get back? Never thought getting back to the house and putting away groceries would be a signal event in my weekend. I can hardly wait until it is once again something I do at 10:30pm on my home from a late class or rehearsal. I like being the 'get it done' guy and look forward to getting back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home