Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, March 24, 2005

Deceiving Appearances

Three stereotypical items this morning which somehow describe the picture people in the Puget Sound region have of east King County.

I saw a Boxster this morning with a vanity license plate reading "riteoff". What a shitty thing. I couldn't help but think of people living at the subsistence level seeing that plate, thinking their annual family budget wouldn't even cover the write off this turd was bragging about. Maybe he meant something entirely different, but this is the east side, and that fits the stereotype.

As I was driving to work, from the Original Pancake House after Kiwanis, I saw another example of the east side mindset. On one of the intersections there were big signs on all four corners warning pedestrians, to watch for turning cars, indicating they better not be too close to the curb or be in the crosswalk when cars are nearby. Um, pedestrians have the right of way. If there is a problem, maybe there should be big signs reminding cars they are supposed to avoid running down people. Admittedly that would offend the Lexus/Hummer crowd over here, but screw 'em.

I met one of the very same people in the office this morning. On crutches you can simply back through doors with push bars. There was a fellow in such a hurry he couldn't wait the extra quarter of a second (I move pretty quickly on the crutches), and shoved on through as I was exiting nearly toppling me. I'm a rather large fellow, and even on crutches it takes an effort to throw my balance. Guess what? It turns out in our office reshuffle he is across the hall and one office down. Whatever reorgs we have, I will not consent to report to this guy. Maybe he was having a bad morning, but for now I learned what I need to know about him when it comes to other people.

You know what stands out for me at work? Just like at home most everybody is extremely accommodating and helpful. It is a pleasure and honor to work around people like this at my day and theatre jobs. I'm not so much surprised by one jerk, as that he is so alone. Given the slightest chance most people are really great. Realizing it is a boon.

So, most people on the east side are not so shallow as Mr. Boxster appears to be, not so arrogant as the traffic signs would indicate, or as w-like as my new neighbor at work. But that is the stereotype people have, even those who live on the east side. Neither the people who fit the mold, nor those that buy the stereotype will be easy sales for the type of theatre I hope to get started. Attracting actors, as I've mentioned before, will be a challenge because of the very same bias. Makes it a challenge, especially since I plan to work with professional level actors and directors, which means fringe people, when you are outside the equity system, which I most certainly am. There the prejudice is strong. Should be interesting.

Now to try to find a core of serious east side actors with similar training. Not that I want to rule anyone out, but I want to start on common ground...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I began reading this thinking, "Hey, we're - you and I - are certainly running against stereotypes here." Then I thought that my being in Monroe probably doesn't count as "Eastside" any more to the "Eastside" folks than it does to the Seattle folks, who say I live in "the sticks" (Reminder folks: Leaves grow on those sticks).

Yesterday, I had an encounter that ran against the stereotype as well while at the Trader Joe's in Kirkland. I chose a register line with one person in front of me counting her money to pay the cashier, thinking this would be the speediest way out and onto home. The customer was an elderly woman who moved quite slowly and deliberately. She wasn't dressed in the latest fashions and, in fact, the coat she was wearing wouldn't be out of place on a homeless person: ready for the cold, but quite worn and tattered.

As I waited patiently, the cashier - against stereotype - did not apologize for the wait nor did she attempt to rush the customer. She took her time, helping the woman decide on which change to give for payment. When payment was done, she walked around the counter and handed the customer her change, counting it out for her carefully. When she was done, the TJ's cashier, put her hand on the woman's shoulder, wished her well, and told her that she looked forward to seeing her again soon.

The cashier was probably in her mid-20s. Her grace ran against both the stereotypes of eastside residents and of how youth act towards the elderly. It was an inspiring demonstration of kindness and patience.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I've never shopped at TJ's, but I will start now.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

LOL, "Riteoff" works at my place. I see the car every morning. I don't know what the meaning is exactly. I wouldn't be broadcasting it myself especially if I was trying to pass it off as a business expense. A work van, OK, but a Boxster? I enjoyed the above comment about TJ's - a testament, I think, not only to the Eastside but also to youth. My experienc with the Eastside in general has been good, but it does have a "veneer" to it.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home