Backing In
I read to the kids today, and most of them really liked seeing the x-ray beforehand. This week's story wasn't as fun as others, I didn't get a chance to get into the library or bookstore, so I brought a 1967 reprint of Andy And The Lion, a 1938 adaptation of Androcles And The Lion. It did depict early 20th century rural life which did get some interest. I compared the thorn in the lion's foot to stepping on a nail, which got a lot of class participation. By age nine most of us have done that. I pitched next week's book, which will be about Shakespeare. My tie-in will be the Ides of March. I told them how in Shakespeare's day instead of special effects they went to the butcher shop and got buckets of guts and blood. They are really interested in Shakespeare now. They asked if I was going to bring bags of blood, and were relieved and disappointed when I said no.
Chris asked if any of the students wanted to help Scott carry stuff out of the class, and I got to pick. I picked one of the girls from the front of the group, who is always very attentive though just a little shy about speaking because Spanish is her first language. The other was a boy who sits in the back of the group, who is almost studiously disinterested. He warmed up quickly, and the three of us were chatting away on our way to the parking lot where I waited for my cab.
I came to work today, and the pain and fatigue have gone up, as expected. People are great about getting the door, though I don't have any trouble opening doors by swinging them wide and stopping them with the crutch, or the others which push backwards with my rump.
I was at the point where elevating the foot all day and night was making my back hurt, so I thought as long as I need to sit up I might as well stop burning sick leave. I can move my foot enough to ease the swelling with the leg under the desk most of the day. I'm going home in a little over an hour and looking forward to it. I won't be staying up very late tonight!
Chris asked if any of the students wanted to help Scott carry stuff out of the class, and I got to pick. I picked one of the girls from the front of the group, who is always very attentive though just a little shy about speaking because Spanish is her first language. The other was a boy who sits in the back of the group, who is almost studiously disinterested. He warmed up quickly, and the three of us were chatting away on our way to the parking lot where I waited for my cab.
I came to work today, and the pain and fatigue have gone up, as expected. People are great about getting the door, though I don't have any trouble opening doors by swinging them wide and stopping them with the crutch, or the others which push backwards with my rump.
I was at the point where elevating the foot all day and night was making my back hurt, so I thought as long as I need to sit up I might as well stop burning sick leave. I can move my foot enough to ease the swelling with the leg under the desk most of the day. I'm going home in a little over an hour and looking forward to it. I won't be staying up very late tonight!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home