Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, January 10, 2005

Resolute ... Sort Of

One of my resolutions, or rather goals in the next year, is to start arriving at work by 9AM. Several reasons and related goals behind this one, mundane and artistic.

I've been arriving around 10 AM, honoring the 10 AM - 4 PM core hour requirement. Before theatre, when I worked in similar situations at Microsoft, I got in around 7:30 AM so I could leave earlier. Well, I want to gain an hour or two in my days; more time for writing and working on my theater idea.

As expected it involves a choice. I lay me down and get me up in a leisurely manner. In the morning I make a quadruple shot of half-caff espresso, cook a small meal, read the newspaper headlines and whatever interests me, do some or all of the crossword, and read the comics. In the evening I usually prepare a drink and such, and relax to a movie or a little web surfing. I could scrap either routine and give myself the added flexibility. I figure on scrapping the drink and such. I like the idea of doing a little research or writing at the end of the day. Now, on to building up a new habit.

I've changed habits in the last few years. I used to read for hours after work, and the drink routine got me to the sack much quicker. Now, I'm tired of that, and want to do something else I enjoy. The dicey part is getting the new routine going. I know from experience I won't miss the drink routine, it's just remembering the new routine...

Related to that goal are the goals of getting more writing done and working towards establishing a theater. Typically I go to work, then straight to class or rehearsal, getting home between 9:00 PM and 11:30 PM. On the later nights I won't get much more done, but my habit is to mix a drink as soon as I get home, and while I'm waiting a half hour or so while it to melts to my taste, prepare dinner. Giving up the drink ritual, which ends productivity for the day should get me more sleep time and more creativity time. Writing, as well as planning and working towards a theater space are artistic pursuits for me.

Now that it's down for you to see, let's see if I really want to do it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home