Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, January 17, 2005

Reprise

My brother hit the big Four Oh. Saturday was his 40th birthday and an accompanying party. My sister-in-law, Tonia, planned it Saturday and it came off wonderfully. It surprised him big time, which is probably a good reason for planning it at the last second. I'm told my nephew and nieces can't keep those kind of secrets very well. The entertainment was a comedian who did a little juggling and roasting. He was good in that he got people involved and seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. Of course the suspenders and tutu added a bit to the show. He was with us ten or fifteen minutes. Very brave and bold.

I brought Eric a couple gifts, one a set of 40 router bits. A cool woodworking tool, and the 40 count went along with the theme. Also a bottle of Chopin, sort of. I bought a bottle for him, but couldn't find the damn thing so I brought him mine which was only 80% full -- pretty cheesy so I promised him the one I actually bought for him when I find it. I never cared for vodka in the past, but this is very nice. I actually like the taste and the after taste, especially when it is chilled in the freezer. Vodka is about the only thing he likes, so it seemed a nice thing to get, and he kept it hidden letting the rest of the guests help themselves to another premium vodka someone had brought for him.

I had the most fun with the router bits. I went to "Love Packages" and got some racy gift wrap. Luckily it was Playboy naughty, and not Hustler. After the present was wrapped I got some gaff tape, and cut out little black squares and strips to put over the naughty bits. I figure the next morning my fourteen year old nephew was carefully peeling off the tape, as I wrapped it so Eric could open the top and slip the case out. My little private bit of humor was honoring his republican bias, thinking of Ashcroft obscuring lady justice's breasts. I know, it's a stretch, but it entertained me and kept me from feeling even more stupid for placing pieces of tape over nipples and butt cracks. My roommate was laughing his ass off at me.

Yesterday I wasn't feeling especially great so I slept in as much as possible. That queasy almost sore throat and belly feeling, that ain't sick but ain't exactly right either. I'm assuming it is not the beginning of a flu, since I had my shot one day before this year's shortage was declared. If it is just a cold that's fine, because the cold is generally not so bad as the onset. After my late morning nap, I made it just in time for the last show of the Studio Series, week one.

Two of my Meisner classmates, Don and Donna, were performing and Mark, Patty, and myself were there to see our old classmates. It is always great to see them, and watching the show got me itching again. I want a meaty role. Office Welch was fun, and I was able to do some decent work, but I want something visceral to work with. I'm watching the audition notices and as our show approaches, shows I can start afterwards should be calling for auditions soon. I hope my M-W class schedule doesn't get in the way.

Watching Don and Donna work I realized I miss deep work, and I only know of one way to find it, and that is to look for it. Let's see, Rumors closed November 21st. My goal is to be cast in something again by February 21st. Scary, as I'm still looking to work in unfamiliar places and making these wild statements here makes me feel obligated.

I got home and did several hours of woodworking, getting ready to build a custom table for The Gift the show I am working on for Week Four of the Studio Series. We want a table slightly taller than standard, for our ghost to sit beneath, and I figured stained oak would allow me to build something with thinner legs and a color that would prevent it from looking too out of proportion. It's a bit extra work, but I'll use the same stain I used for a rolling oak shelf I built a couple years ago for another show. It is now a rolling entertainment center, and the table will match nicely. I'm starting to furnish bits of my house with set pieces, and wearing clothes I buy for costumes. Art nerd.

This morning I got up at 6:30 AM, still felt crappy and went back to sleep. I felt better a couple hours later and decided to go to work. So, I missed my 9 AM goal again. I really want to make that goal. I think, though I suppose time will be the real arbiter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home