Bigger Life, Littler Ego
So, in before 9 AM at the office two days this week. Tomorrow will be the tie breaker. Will I have made it in early more or less than 50% of the time this week. So far, it pretty much matches the times I skipped my evening drink ritual by count. The odd part, my office arrival times don't seem to map to my when I have my evening rituals in any concrete manner.
Tuesday Paula called, all worried about hurting my feelings. Rather than let her go on I said, "You don't want to use the flats for the show." Yup, I called it. The only thing that would have hurt my feelings with the flats would have been if they looked crappy or didn't stand up straight. I'm pretty comfortable with the vagaries of theatre. In fact I love them.
The worry is for the first time I won't be at all performances of our show, so I won't be part of the crew striking and setting between performances in the Studio Series. I worried that might be the case, but proceeded anyway. I figured having four flats, able to make an eight foot wall fifteen feet long was a good start for the theater I hope to get started this year.
I'm not ego-less, but pretty damn close when compared to what I remember of my earlier years. There is something in me more interested in making a show work, than stroking my ego. Ironically, it ends up getting more strokes for my ego in the long run. Don't know exactly when the change happened, as my feelings were very easily bruised for most of my life. I believe getting deeply involved and invested in theatrical productions on and back stage were the path for me. Canceling a show will upset me, but abandoning a set piece doesn't. The show, rather than my part in it, is my focus. Subtle distinction maybe, but it keeps me sane, and makes it easy to take a big part in the production process.
I'm off to rehearsal again in a little bit, and between you and I, not having the flats is a blessing too. They are a bit awkward for one person, and the constant lugging won't be missed.
Next Step is doing another show, directed by my good friend Rachel. Lani Brockman, the artistic director of Studio East, is directing a community production of The Music Man at the same time. Both sound like fun shows, I'd love working on either, and damnit I don't have the time. Unless they change their rehearsal schedules, and that ain't gonna happen for one guy in a medium or large cast. I'm looking forward to seeing both shows. There is an added pleasure in seeing shows with people you know deeply involved.
I saw Lani this morning when she spoke to my service club. She and Paula are the two who read my script The Lie. I was flattered when she asked if she could use it for her scene study class. I didn't hear back and figured it never happened. What a lovely surprise it was this morning, when she told me she liked it so much she wants to use it again next year! Woo hoo!
Well, traffic sucks today, so I got to launch early. Later.
Tuesday Paula called, all worried about hurting my feelings. Rather than let her go on I said, "You don't want to use the flats for the show." Yup, I called it. The only thing that would have hurt my feelings with the flats would have been if they looked crappy or didn't stand up straight. I'm pretty comfortable with the vagaries of theatre. In fact I love them.
The worry is for the first time I won't be at all performances of our show, so I won't be part of the crew striking and setting between performances in the Studio Series. I worried that might be the case, but proceeded anyway. I figured having four flats, able to make an eight foot wall fifteen feet long was a good start for the theater I hope to get started this year.
I'm not ego-less, but pretty damn close when compared to what I remember of my earlier years. There is something in me more interested in making a show work, than stroking my ego. Ironically, it ends up getting more strokes for my ego in the long run. Don't know exactly when the change happened, as my feelings were very easily bruised for most of my life. I believe getting deeply involved and invested in theatrical productions on and back stage were the path for me. Canceling a show will upset me, but abandoning a set piece doesn't. The show, rather than my part in it, is my focus. Subtle distinction maybe, but it keeps me sane, and makes it easy to take a big part in the production process.
I'm off to rehearsal again in a little bit, and between you and I, not having the flats is a blessing too. They are a bit awkward for one person, and the constant lugging won't be missed.
Next Step is doing another show, directed by my good friend Rachel. Lani Brockman, the artistic director of Studio East, is directing a community production of The Music Man at the same time. Both sound like fun shows, I'd love working on either, and damnit I don't have the time. Unless they change their rehearsal schedules, and that ain't gonna happen for one guy in a medium or large cast. I'm looking forward to seeing both shows. There is an added pleasure in seeing shows with people you know deeply involved.
I saw Lani this morning when she spoke to my service club. She and Paula are the two who read my script The Lie. I was flattered when she asked if she could use it for her scene study class. I didn't hear back and figured it never happened. What a lovely surprise it was this morning, when she told me she liked it so much she wants to use it again next year! Woo hoo!
Well, traffic sucks today, so I got to launch early. Later.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home