Next!
All done with Rumors. 'Twas a fun run, though as frustrating as it was edifying for me. We had formal check ins, and on our last one we were to mention one thing we were going to try and do better. I mentioned the intense training I had last year, and the challenge I was finding in bringing the tools to a non-classroom environment. My goal Saturday night was to move from applying what I learned from 10% to 11%. Not really a quantifiable goal, more of a personal push.
It was especially fun to watch all the characters/actors grow and learn through the show. Every single person was trying new things, making new offers up until the final show. One thing I did before the final show was run my lines without moving. I have gotten repeated feedback from nearly every instructor, and many directors I have had that I need to be pretty planted on stage, and I realized I was making too many little movments. I hope it helped me maintain the dynamic stillness which serves me. I also did some singing to warm-up my voice. I was surprised how much that helped.
Now on to a couple shows where I'll be working offstage duties. Not exactly sure what yet, as it depends how time commitments and pre-production plans work out. Maybe running lights and sound for a holiday show, set building and design for another show or two in January, and maybe some writing for one of them. For now, just a one week respite, though I do have Neutral Mask tonight, which I am looking forward to.
I gave myself a personal post-mortem homework assignment for Rumors. Review the prep I did for the show, and review my class notes from Meisner last year. A daunting task. I intend to identify prep work, how effective it was, and why I think it worked or not. The other is identifying additional exercises for prep, which I want to incorporate for the next show. While I know I did a better job than I would have a year ago thanks to the training investment, I am not at all satisfied with what I just did. I'm almost okay with that, as long as I keep moving forward adding more depth and focus to my work with each show.
So come January, unless something unexpected comes up, it will be time to start looking for auditions. I haven't done that in a while, working on referrals and such. Time to step out of the comfort zone again.
It was especially fun to watch all the characters/actors grow and learn through the show. Every single person was trying new things, making new offers up until the final show. One thing I did before the final show was run my lines without moving. I have gotten repeated feedback from nearly every instructor, and many directors I have had that I need to be pretty planted on stage, and I realized I was making too many little movments. I hope it helped me maintain the dynamic stillness which serves me. I also did some singing to warm-up my voice. I was surprised how much that helped.
Now on to a couple shows where I'll be working offstage duties. Not exactly sure what yet, as it depends how time commitments and pre-production plans work out. Maybe running lights and sound for a holiday show, set building and design for another show or two in January, and maybe some writing for one of them. For now, just a one week respite, though I do have Neutral Mask tonight, which I am looking forward to.
I gave myself a personal post-mortem homework assignment for Rumors. Review the prep I did for the show, and review my class notes from Meisner last year. A daunting task. I intend to identify prep work, how effective it was, and why I think it worked or not. The other is identifying additional exercises for prep, which I want to incorporate for the next show. While I know I did a better job than I would have a year ago thanks to the training investment, I am not at all satisfied with what I just did. I'm almost okay with that, as long as I keep moving forward adding more depth and focus to my work with each show.
So come January, unless something unexpected comes up, it will be time to start looking for auditions. I haven't done that in a while, working on referrals and such. Time to step out of the comfort zone again.
1 Comments:
My immediate homework was a shot of my favorite Bourbon (Knob Creek, only 9 years old) on the rocks. That's all, as I was on the bike.
Post a Comment
<< Home