Damn The Torpedoes?
Just three more shows for Rumors. It is so much more fun this week. The fever I had last week let up and the lines are no longer my big issue. I've not experienced anxiety over my lines before, and there is a little residual anxiety left. It'll make me more sympathetic to other actors in the future.
I'm looking forward to the rest, and as always I'll miss the cast and crew. Sometimes I think theatre is more about making lots of friendships than anything else. Most people you work with on shows are still good friends the next time you see them, even if it has been years. What a great gift.
On the big scale art is what drives me. I'm not exactly sure what art is, or what aspect of that mystery I should be concentrating on. I just spend the greater part of my time doing it. The friendships sustain me, keep the unknown-ness in perspective so it doesnt make me nuts. Okay, okay, so it doesnt make me more nuts.
Finishing a challenging week at the office, and making my mortgage payment over the phone. A nice way to start my theatre commute, getting the work week and debt behind me.
Kipley sent me a nice note, making me feel better about my show, and my irritation last Saturday. He has gotten himself a theatre in Hoboken, and I think it is stupendous. I read his bog regularly, and will be paying especially close attention, thinking of several nascent theatre companies I am working with. I live on the east side of Lake Washington, and there is a paucity of good dramatic theatre. Musical theatre and light comedy do well. People have a bias making it very hard to attract people to dramatic theatre in this area. They will make the ugly commute across the bridge to see shows in Seattle, but wont come to a nearby theatre in Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland.
Im motivated to start asking friends who have talked about starting theatres if they are really interested, and contacting three or four real estate agent friends. Something like Kipleys space would be a great start. There are a number of seriously talented artists on the east side, that and a spark is all you really need to start. If nobody wants to start looking around with me, well maybe Ill go it alone, though I worry about my organizational skills. Damn it all, I want a theatre doing serious work in its own space. I figure it will take a long, long time and a lot of effort to find a space. It may not happen, but I can guarantee it will not happen if I just think about it.
I'm looking forward to the rest, and as always I'll miss the cast and crew. Sometimes I think theatre is more about making lots of friendships than anything else. Most people you work with on shows are still good friends the next time you see them, even if it has been years. What a great gift.
On the big scale art is what drives me. I'm not exactly sure what art is, or what aspect of that mystery I should be concentrating on. I just spend the greater part of my time doing it. The friendships sustain me, keep the unknown-ness in perspective so it doesnt make me nuts. Okay, okay, so it doesnt make me more nuts.
Finishing a challenging week at the office, and making my mortgage payment over the phone. A nice way to start my theatre commute, getting the work week and debt behind me.
Kipley sent me a nice note, making me feel better about my show, and my irritation last Saturday. He has gotten himself a theatre in Hoboken, and I think it is stupendous. I read his bog regularly, and will be paying especially close attention, thinking of several nascent theatre companies I am working with. I live on the east side of Lake Washington, and there is a paucity of good dramatic theatre. Musical theatre and light comedy do well. People have a bias making it very hard to attract people to dramatic theatre in this area. They will make the ugly commute across the bridge to see shows in Seattle, but wont come to a nearby theatre in Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland.
Im motivated to start asking friends who have talked about starting theatres if they are really interested, and contacting three or four real estate agent friends. Something like Kipleys space would be a great start. There are a number of seriously talented artists on the east side, that and a spark is all you really need to start. If nobody wants to start looking around with me, well maybe Ill go it alone, though I worry about my organizational skills. Damn it all, I want a theatre doing serious work in its own space. I figure it will take a long, long time and a lot of effort to find a space. It may not happen, but I can guarantee it will not happen if I just think about it.
2 Comments:
I'm coming to see Rumors today -- twice! Catching the matinee & the evening show. Break a leg.
It is always a gift to have friends at a show. I was surprised at the number of people I know who came to the shows on Saturday. Four or more people at each show on Saturday! It's been years since I had that many people come to a show.
Post a Comment
<< Home