Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Sunday, October 24, 2004

Wow

The opera still wows me in a big way. I just saw Rigoletto, and it gets me like a wonderful play. I took Gregory, my friend who had been one of the (supernumerary) actors in Lohengrin. He's worked numerous operas, and this was his first time on this side of the stage for Grand Opera. He'd seen one University of Washington opera, and that was it. He enjoyed it immensely, and I was delighted to oblige.

A couple interesting things happened on the way out. They had some of the Lohengrin costumes on display, and he talked about how they had to go pick up pieces from Lohengrin's chain mail after the shows. They don't look loose, but several little links would fall off at regular intervals. I enjoy hearing those kind of production stories.

We said our farewells and I walked through Seattle Center to where I'd parked the motorcycle. I was carrying my full-face white helmet in one hand, my shoes in the other, and wearing my heavy riding boots. I did one of those little dances with a fellow coming the other way, where you both keep moving the same way as you approach. We gave each other a chuckling "Hi", and I overheard the following conversation between him and his excited young son who were coming back from a Key Arena.
Boy: Dad! Did you see him?
Father: Yeah.
Boy: He's one of those hockey guys!
Father: Think so?
Boy: He's a giant!!


I'm sure his father realized I was just a large fellow, much too old and out of shape to play hockey. That eight or nine year old boy was so excited I hope his father let him believe he'd just seen one of those hockey guys. His unfettered excitement made me feel very happy, and I'd like to think he got some joy out of the encounter too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm smiling at the story of the child. I've never been to an opera, but then again, I don't appreciate the music as much as other musical forms.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I'm still smiling at the child's enthusiasm. I never had any interest in opera until I took a few voice lessons from a retired baritone from the NY Opera.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home