When You're Feeling Down...
Last Thursday three of us got together for a writing workshop. Glenn Abe, myself, and Rich DeLorme. I hadn't met Rich who also works here at Expedia, and Glenn and I were treated to his story.
Between two and three years ago Rich was belatedly diagnosed with cancer, which had metastasized to his lungs and brain. Once it was finally determined to be cancer he was told it was stage three, which he believes was an attempted kindness, as the doctors would not make eye contact with him and pretty quickly refused further treatment. They were out of their depth. He did find some aggressive treatment through the folks who worked with Lance Armstrong, which ultimately was successful, and survived. This is a very, very brief account. While he was telling us the story I had a lump in my throat which kept me for speaking, though I'd no desire to do so.
He and the doctors believed he was going to die, and wanting his 18 month old child to be old enough to remember him was his motivation to fight. When he told us that, I recalled the picture of his now four year old daughter running full tilt with complete delight in circles around the coffee table working off some sugar a few minutes after I arrived at his house.
Rich shared two poems he wrote when he 'knew' he was dying. With his permission I am sharing them with you in the order in which I first read them.
My Garden
by Rich DeLorme
Is today the day
my garden wins the battle
and overgrows me?
Nothing but Necrosis
by Rich DeLorme
It's a strange and mutant feeling
To want to die a little inside
To battle a betrayal no body can imagine
Might take place inside one's self
As you grow stronger
It grows stronger
As you begin to falter
It grows stronger
Until you find the poisons
To kill enough of yourself
To begin to drive it away
Between two and three years ago Rich was belatedly diagnosed with cancer, which had metastasized to his lungs and brain. Once it was finally determined to be cancer he was told it was stage three, which he believes was an attempted kindness, as the doctors would not make eye contact with him and pretty quickly refused further treatment. They were out of their depth. He did find some aggressive treatment through the folks who worked with Lance Armstrong, which ultimately was successful, and survived. This is a very, very brief account. While he was telling us the story I had a lump in my throat which kept me for speaking, though I'd no desire to do so.
He and the doctors believed he was going to die, and wanting his 18 month old child to be old enough to remember him was his motivation to fight. When he told us that, I recalled the picture of his now four year old daughter running full tilt with complete delight in circles around the coffee table working off some sugar a few minutes after I arrived at his house.
Rich shared two poems he wrote when he 'knew' he was dying. With his permission I am sharing them with you in the order in which I first read them.
My Garden
by Rich DeLorme
Is today the day
my garden wins the battle
and overgrows me?
Nothing but Necrosis
by Rich DeLorme
It's a strange and mutant feeling
To want to die a little inside
To battle a betrayal no body can imagine
Might take place inside one's self
As you grow stronger
It grows stronger
As you begin to falter
It grows stronger
Until you find the poisons
To kill enough of yourself
To begin to drive it away
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home