Three's a Charm
I saw three plays this weekend. A very good show, and a couple outstanding shows. Friday was Kentucky Ghosts which I saw with Paula, Saturday was Rhinoceros with Paula and Steve, and Sunday was Our Town with my folks and my niece Anna.
Kentucky Ghosts was well done and terrifyingly enjoyable, though not terrifying. The staging reminded me of the stories heard as kids, which were taken as gospel truth, told by grown-up neighbors, aunts, uncles, cousins, and big kids. It actually left us thinking of ghostly stories and encounters of our own after the show.
Rhinoceros is an amazing script, and it was staged flawlessly. I'm still cogitating over the thoughts in my post on Friday, and this social commentary about people generally being nothing more than a member of the herd gave me even more to think about.
Our Town may end up being my favorite show of the year. It also investigated the notion of people generally being members of the herd, but it didn't make judgments. It depicted the beauty of community and social constructs. I also saw the ugliness of smothering dreams and creativity in those same constructs. Yin and Yang. It was this and so much more. One subplot, the main one, involved the joy of discovering love and getting married, the fear and grief of sacrificing dreams at the same time, followed by the devastation and indifference of an untimely death. And so much more. People were quiet leaving the theatre, as they needed time to digest what they had experienced and I think some didn't trust themselves to speak. After the standing ovation I commented to Anna and my folks, "I was waiting through the whole last act to get in a good sniffle." Anna started to say something with a laugh which turned into a good cry. We didn't really talk much until we'd walked to the restaurant.
It was fun seeing Tom Skerritt in Our Town yesterday. I don't know what I expected, but he came across as very human and someone I would like to know. He does a wonderful job on stage. Now I'm thinking of asking Kipley about working with Tom Skerritt in Poltergeist III, but likely won't. More likely I'll ask Rachel, who was there for the show with her mother yesterday, and was an observing director for the rehearsals.
Three winners in a row, and all three with friends or acquaintances in or associated with the shows. Definitely a good weekend.
Kentucky Ghosts was well done and terrifyingly enjoyable, though not terrifying. The staging reminded me of the stories heard as kids, which were taken as gospel truth, told by grown-up neighbors, aunts, uncles, cousins, and big kids. It actually left us thinking of ghostly stories and encounters of our own after the show.
Rhinoceros is an amazing script, and it was staged flawlessly. I'm still cogitating over the thoughts in my post on Friday, and this social commentary about people generally being nothing more than a member of the herd gave me even more to think about.
Our Town may end up being my favorite show of the year. It also investigated the notion of people generally being members of the herd, but it didn't make judgments. It depicted the beauty of community and social constructs. I also saw the ugliness of smothering dreams and creativity in those same constructs. Yin and Yang. It was this and so much more. One subplot, the main one, involved the joy of discovering love and getting married, the fear and grief of sacrificing dreams at the same time, followed by the devastation and indifference of an untimely death. And so much more. People were quiet leaving the theatre, as they needed time to digest what they had experienced and I think some didn't trust themselves to speak. After the standing ovation I commented to Anna and my folks, "I was waiting through the whole last act to get in a good sniffle." Anna started to say something with a laugh which turned into a good cry. We didn't really talk much until we'd walked to the restaurant.
It was fun seeing Tom Skerritt in Our Town yesterday. I don't know what I expected, but he came across as very human and someone I would like to know. He does a wonderful job on stage. Now I'm thinking of asking Kipley about working with Tom Skerritt in Poltergeist III, but likely won't. More likely I'll ask Rachel, who was there for the show with her mother yesterday, and was an observing director for the rehearsals.
Three winners in a row, and all three with friends or acquaintances in or associated with the shows. Definitely a good weekend.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home