Premeditation
I keep hearing of die hard republicans voting for Kerry, or an independent candidate. They simply can't stomach the thought of Bush representing them again in the Oval Office. Despite all the anecdotal evidence I'm not confident. On the other hand I tell my conservative Bushite friends to trust the polls reported on Fox. "Pay no attention to the multitudes behind the curtain."
-------------------------------------------------------
What is the World Court up to? Bush withdraws the U.S. from the World Court, only to start overseeing torture and other Geneva Convention violations. Not for one second can I buy the claim he is blameless. He is the Commander In Chief, and as supreme commander of the military he is accountable for everything that happens in his command. Just like an Admiral, Commander, or as I was held accountable for my crew as a Lieutenant.
Add to the military rules of accountability the fact he withdrew from the convention shortly before sponsoring the violations. I find it no different than someone grossly over insuring his failing business six months before it mysteriously burns to the ground. I don't think there is a rational conservative or liberal that would not see the connection and be suspicious of premeditated arson.
So, we have extremely compelling empirical evidence our administration planned to commit war crimes. Why isn't something being done? Is the World Court afraid to get our dander up, thereby pushing people to vote for Bush? Or do they not consider the atrocities carried out in our name to be all that bad? These people must be held accountable.
I keep reading self-satisfied pundits, liberal and conservative, writing about how we need to stop being polarized. It is not helpful, it undermines the president, deepens the divide in the country, blah, blah, blah. I read these and I cringe. My experience leads me to believe the people we have in power are truly criminal, and guilty of high crimes. Tens of thousands dead, massive corruption and influence peddling, etc. High crimes and perjury don't really compare with a blow job and perjury. More cynically, and sadly very likely, the slaughter and maiming of tens of thousands of dark skinned non-christians and thousands in our military doesn't seem to bother conservatives as much as fellatio. Where Kenneth Starr now? I thought his handlers were cowards four years ago, they don't look braver today.
----------------------------------------------------------
From Reuters:
-------------------------------------------------------
What is the World Court up to? Bush withdraws the U.S. from the World Court, only to start overseeing torture and other Geneva Convention violations. Not for one second can I buy the claim he is blameless. He is the Commander In Chief, and as supreme commander of the military he is accountable for everything that happens in his command. Just like an Admiral, Commander, or as I was held accountable for my crew as a Lieutenant.
Add to the military rules of accountability the fact he withdrew from the convention shortly before sponsoring the violations. I find it no different than someone grossly over insuring his failing business six months before it mysteriously burns to the ground. I don't think there is a rational conservative or liberal that would not see the connection and be suspicious of premeditated arson.
So, we have extremely compelling empirical evidence our administration planned to commit war crimes. Why isn't something being done? Is the World Court afraid to get our dander up, thereby pushing people to vote for Bush? Or do they not consider the atrocities carried out in our name to be all that bad? These people must be held accountable.
I keep reading self-satisfied pundits, liberal and conservative, writing about how we need to stop being polarized. It is not helpful, it undermines the president, deepens the divide in the country, blah, blah, blah. I read these and I cringe. My experience leads me to believe the people we have in power are truly criminal, and guilty of high crimes. Tens of thousands dead, massive corruption and influence peddling, etc. High crimes and perjury don't really compare with a blow job and perjury. More cynically, and sadly very likely, the slaughter and maiming of tens of thousands of dark skinned non-christians and thousands in our military doesn't seem to bother conservatives as much as fellatio. Where Kenneth Starr now? I thought his handlers were cowards four years ago, they don't look braver today.
----------------------------------------------------------
From Reuters:
Kerry said terrorists could use the explosives "to kill our troops, our people, blow up airplanes and level buildings." Bush called Kerry "a political candidate who jumps to conclusions without knowing the facts."Great Balls of Fire! This from the man who oversaw the slanting and altering of intelligence reports so he could jump into the war without knowing the facts?
1 Comments:
Good thoughts. As regards to the World Court, I'll gently remind you that not even Clinton would sign on to the War Crimes court without a clause that would keep U.S. citizens from being tried there. The military was worried that the world would gang up on them and expose atrocities, like Abu Ghraib, committed in the name of war. It's hypocritical.
In fact, technically, bin Laden should be brought in front of the world court. After all, his organization is not a nation. We can only legally declare wars against nations. I know this does nothing to quell the understandable blood thirst people have for this murdered, but in a country that respects the rule of law, or claims it does, we do not summarily execute people no matter what we learn of their atrocities. This holds true whether you're the Green River killer, Jeffrey Dahmer, Augustus Pinochet, or Henry Kissinger. The World Court would be the proper place for a captured terrorist. Of course, we haven't successfully prosecuted one terrorist here since Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols and we haven't prosecuted one person associated with 9/11 or Al Quaida. Hey, perhaps the World Court would do better?
Don't believe the hype regarding a polarized nation. There are perhaps 10 swing states. The rest of the states are either in the conservative or liberal camps pretty firmly. Hence, those 10 states are, perhaps, polarized. As a nation, there certainly are heightened tensions. As I've noted, the discussion/arguments between the 2 sides is pretty narrowly defined when it comes to foreign policy, arguing not over the policy itself, but the execution of the policy. Still, it's healthy to have the discussion/argument. Future events will need to take place before America finds itself in some realm of sanity again. It's slowly happening, but I think we'll need a change of administration (or 2) so it can be revealed how corrupt and immoral the current one is via internal memos, etc.
Once more of that comes to light, then we may see the prosecutors come forward. Unfortunately, I doubt it. After all, we've never prosecuted Kissinger.
Post a Comment
<< Home