Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, October 11, 2004

Get Over It Scott

Yesterday I just sent out a couple E-mails to a total of 70 people asking for their addresses, so I could send them promotional postcards for Rumors. I was hoping to get a 25% response rate, and already have. I have another 20 or so addresses I will use for the cards.

I stopped announcing the shows I was working on two years ago, because I'd burned everyone out. I didn't feel particularly upset people didn't respond. I learned what a lot of other actors before me learned. It is a rare pleasure when friends, family, and acquaintances come to shows. The love of art keeps us jazzed and fulfilled, making the appearance of people you know outside the artistic community an uncommon treat.

This is a different situation. For the first time in several years I have a substantial onstage role for a show with more than one performance, it's a farce, and I haven't pestered people in a while. Also, it is a self-produced show, meaning we are expected to play a major role in bringing in audience.

It would be fun to have lots of people I know at the show. It wasn't as big a sacrifice as I thought to set aside my worries of being a pest and my distaste of marketing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Rutherford said...

I gave my address to Ben already, so think I'm covered. You can cross me off your list. Glad to hear of the good response rate. One of the coolest things about being in a Next Step play under Ben's artistic directorship is that they're all sold out. Wheee, hawww!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home