Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Sunday, October 10, 2004

Blythe Beginnings

A little more. A garrulous weekend, but I figure my posts will get shorter and less frequent as my schedule fills up again.

Saturday evening I met Gregory, Paula, and Steve for Sushi. Gregory had a call for 6:30, and we were grabbing a meal before going to see his show, The Trojan Women. After Gregory left for his call we headed up to Steve and Paula's apartment, watched a tape of the recent presidential debate and had gin and tonics. The president seemed on his game, though the seeming lucidity didn't cover his overwhelming lack of veracity and intellectual integrity or consistency. He blantantly and petulantly ignored the debate rules he and Kerry had agreed to, beat Kerry hands down in lack of scruples, and unfortunately I don't have much faith the average voter is willing to see through him.

Then we happily left that depressing reality for the theatre. Paula said a couple surprising things to me as we waited for the show to start. I sat in the seat Steve and Paula saved while I chatted with people I saw on the way in, sitting next to a woman, who very graciously slid over when she saw the breadth of my shoulders prevented me from leaning back comfortably in my seat. Broad shoulders are a pain in most theaters and stadiums. You have to lean forward, cross your arms tightly, or sit slightly sideways. I thanked the woman, thinking it was a very nice thing.

Paula chuckled at my "Blythe spirit." I'd no idea what she meant. She said I always think the best of people and situations. Maybe the woman was intimidated or put off by my size, but it didn't even occur to me she said. I didn't know how to respond, I found it humorous, so I laughingly replied, "Well it worked out well for all of us." Blythe spirit? Never a label or an attitude I would have attributed to myself.

While we're waiting for the show to start, in Freehold's East Hall (aka Rhino) Theatre, where we have worked so many times, including two of Freehold's Studio Series. Paula says she is getting ready to start multiple projects for the upcoming Studio Series. I asked what projects, she hesitated, and I said she had to tell me now she'd pricked my interested. The Alexandria Project which she is developing and directing, Gregory wants to work with her as an actor, and she was thinking of working on this show about a dead puppy. My short script, The Thai Getaway. Despite the build up I was very surprised and flattered. We'll be getting together to discuss projects in the next week or so.

Today, after sleeping in following a late night, and writing my two preceding posts I headed out for a walk with the script for Rumors. I memorized the first half or third of my lines, got in a five mile walk, giving my system a nice boost and getting more in touch with my character, Officer Ben Welch. A nice way to tie up the weekend and get started on my new projects.

In theatre, projects are ephemeral, consisting of very intense and personal work, suddenly over. It teaches the actor. It becomes progressively easier to give up the past and its trappings, simply letting them inform where it is you are now. You have to do it for every show, and it carries into 'real' life. The now really is a nice place to reside.

Now, sleep well, and have a great new week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home