Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Take It Slow

I drive south on 140th NE for my commute. It is a shorter route than the freeway, and saves time during rush hour. It even saves time when I commute on the motorcycle, though I can use the express lanes. Most of the trip it is two lanes, so it is a more relaxed commute. Most take the freeway. The stoplights and lower speed limits drive them nuts, whereas they don't seem to mind the traffic jams so much. I don't get it, but am grateful they aren't on the surface. It is humorous to me, and I always appreciate being tickled. ; )

Today, just before the light at NE 8th, I saw the lawn in front of an apartment or condo complex was horribly torn up and gouged. A couple cars had gone down there doing donuts, slides, and peel outs on the nicely maintained lawn by the pond. I know for a fact there were a couple cars because they were both still there, covered in mud and sunk to the floorboards in the soft moist earth by the pond. As I pulled up to the light I was laughing.

I pictured some kids in their teens or tweens getting their cars stuck, realizing they were totally screwed, there was no way they could just call a tow truck or a buddy and get away. It must have been a long walk home, and now they are waiting for John Law's knock on their door. Or maybe they're trying to explain to Mom or Dad where the car is, and why they will have to take a taxi to work, then the police station to bail out their kids. I'm betting the little vandals will get community service, likely some to repair the damage they did. I'll be looking for them in the next month as I commute. Somehow I don't think they'll be driving there.

You occasionally see things like that on the freeway, but only occasionally. Maybe those rushing people would see it and only get cross about the malicious damage, not having the time to see the humor. I'm sure my laughter is enhanced by other vandalisms I've seen, a satisfaction knowing they don't always get away with it. It was a lovely sight.

Slow down, it may not take longer and perceptions are both keener and more open. I need remind to myself more often it does not only apply to commuting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home