Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, August 02, 2004

Who Do You Laugh? (homage to zep)

Saturday, bright and early, about 5 minutes after high Noon I was in my driveway starting up my motorcycle. A neighborhood kid about fourteen years old was riding by on his gas powered scooter. Now, my motorcycle is a Moto Guzzi, a big two cylinder bike. It doesn't have the syncopated sound of a Harley, but it does have loud performance pipes, which make it sound like an old muscle car. Satisfies my "lookie here" urge and makes me more visible to drivers. Starting it up with a slight throttle twist to make it start more quickly often produces what sounds like a two or three resounding blasts.

When I started it up on Saturday the young fellow on his scooter looked around a bit, and didn't even look my way. I was a little surprised because I thought he spotted me rolling it out of the garage wearing my bright nearly fluorescent piss yellow suit, which also makes me more visible to drivers. He was checking out his micro engine and tires. Another good chuckle. I think it would have been humorous to most anyone, and I wondered about it. Many little things like that are funny in a light hearted way. I think it is because we can see ourselves in the same situation, confused or concerned in the same way. I can picture myself looking around on that scooter puzzled at how it might have made those tremendous bangs. Even if I can't picture myself riding around on a motorized scooter.

I like to laugh. If I can't find a way to laugh at a situation in my life, no matter how dire, dark, or depressing I can't fully deal with it. Facing a problem enough to find humor in it is enough for me to start dealing with it effectively too. I enjoy laughing at/with myself, and I saw watching the kid on the scooter ended up with that feeling of enjoyment at ones own foibles. I wonder if the concept of relating to oneself to experience humor is specific to me. It seems to provide me an awareness or an insight of what may be funny to others when I write. I used to make people laugh as a kid, not a class clown type, but a mixture of very risqué double entendres and dry witticisms. I still like making people smile or laugh, but it is more personal, which for me makes it easier to put on paper.

Writing is always a surprise. Sometimes the snippets you find funniest as you write fall dead, and others unexpectedly throw people into hysterics. However it happens, I am usually happy to find some humor in any piece. Especially in something dramatic, where you must give the audience some respite or you'll glaze them over. You can't blame the audience if you burn them out before they hear what you have to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home